OH NO! Big time crash....broke my T-Maxx (first time and i'm a nOOb) Need help! (long

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi...

Argh!! Oh well this would have happened anyway i guess.

Long story, but I will spare you. subj. says it all. :yes:

I finally recieved all my replacement parts from the USA and the UK (I live in Denmark and no LHS seems to even know the T-Maxx)

I broke the right front upper and lower A-Arms, front left bulkhead and suspension pin....and thats it (or so I thought)

I then ordered a complete RPM Wide A-Arms for all 4 corners. i've read so many good things inhere about them. And Man are they looking strong...:ahh:

Well I replaced all the broken stuff and installed the RPM parts.. Pheew. Replacing a bulkhead takes quite long time. for me anyway. I've never worked on R/C's before, but it's not that hard. Just took me long time. But I liked fiddling with it.

Now thats where I found out that one of my shocks are bend. Actually quite noticably. I don't know how i could have missed out on this when inspecting the damage to my 2.5..:no_commen

I do not want to buy stock shocks. I did a search inhere for shocks and i read quite some threads. It seems like AE, Dynamite, BB and Powerline are the most popular ones.

I did a search on Tower and found these from HotBodies http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXANU0&P=7

Will they do any good. I like the finger ajustment feature.

Please give me your thoughts on what to buy. I don't want to rebuild them all the time either. I only do mild bashing, WOT on hard surfaces. No racing or competition.

Suggestions on shock combinations are welcome. Can I simply buy 4 new shocks and use them together with 4 stock. Spring resommendations and so on.. blah blah.. I'll stop now.. :sniper:

I find the Associated and Dynamite shocks to be better of the bunch you posted. Reason being, they can be dialed in more appropriately for serious bashing and racing. In the event of a high jumping day, they can be dialed in for that too. You will find that most hardcore drivers want their A-Arms to be level with the ground. Its for good reason, handling. Anyhow, those 2 have been the best in that respect, out of what you posted.

Personally, I have heard too man horror stories about the HotBodies shocks on the Savage to want to trust them on the TMaxx. I currently own a set myself for the Savage and have had problems with them. Maybe the ones for the TMaxx are better because they are not as long. I dont know.

As far as springs go. Well, the ones that come with the Dynamites seem to work just fine on my buddies, but I would installe the RC Raven progressive springs. These are my favorites.

Lastly, shock oil. I run a combo of 40/50 wt all the way around. 40 on the outsides and 50 on the insides. I also use the RPM dual rate plates inside the shocks. These plates are awesome for a quicker return to the ready position while still providing good compression response.

Currently i still have the Traxxas Big Bores installed with the above setup, but, am going to be changing those soon if they do not perform to expectation on my new CyberMaxx project.

I use the Dynamite/Losi shocks on my Maxx with Trinity black springs. These shocks are also threaded for easier adjustments. They work great. I use 50wt front and 70wt rear, because I do a lot of jumping. Also you can easily get parts for the shocks when you have to rebuild them. You can take a look at them here:Dynamite Shocks

Another option is to use Ofna shocks, which you could just use 4 shocks. I hear a lot of good things about these shocks. Here's a link to the Ofna shocks: Ofna Shocks

the hot bodies arent bad at all KK has them and likes them.... (always a LOT better than stock)

I run AE shocks on all corners with a combination/mixture of Trinity Blue and Black springs dampened by 60wt silicone.

They come dis-assembled and without aluminum caps, but spend the extra dough to build them right and you won't be disappointed. What I mean...get good springs, strong oil/silicone, and the aluminum caps.

My T-Maxx has been through just about any terrain and off of some substantial jumps, and the shocks just soak it up. I have only broken one thing on any of my shocks...one of the screws that hold the lower rod end sheared on a particularly ugly landing. Got stronger rod ends and beefier screws, and no problems since.

Bottom line...spend some money to get some quality shocks, and your T-Maxx will love you for it.

OK then. Thank you for the replys.

I will go for the AE i think. $60 at Tower.

Am I right in assuming that the stock oil in the Traxxas shocks is 30wt ? or something close. I'm unable to look it up in the manual or their website. Even their refill bottle does not state the weight anywhere.

I dont do any high or hard jumps, but find the stock suspension quite soft. How much difference is there in the +10 in weight. eg. from 30 to 40 to 50wt.

I'm considering buying the 40 go 50 wt from Tower

And what alumium caps should I buy. I'm kinda lost on Tower. Anyone got a link to some there (and perhaps some springs too)

What kind of tension does the blue springs have that come with the AE ? Will I be better off getting some replacements from the start ?

Pheew! I'll stop my questions now I think... :cheerful:

Please have patience with me. I want to get the order right the first time. The stuff has to go all the way to Denmark and customs does not like orders above $50 =devil . They overtax them like :censored:

Sasquatch...I helped a fellow from Denmark with a shipment.

As for the AE shocks, use Trinity springs or some other after-market spring. The stock AE spring are crap. The AE shocks you want to get are:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVH03&P=7

and the caps are:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWL86&P=7

Springs:
Blue
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZH46&P=0
Black
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZH47&P=0

The oil in the stock T-Maxx is light (30-40wt), and I can't remember the exact number. The increased weight can have a notice-able affect. I would go no higher than 60wt, but you should be good with 50wt or a combo of 40 wt and 50 wt (like others have mentioned).

Hope this helps.

Thank you (again)

I'll order the AE and some 40 and 50 wt oil.

How many bottles ? Tower has some 2 oz.

I have no idea how much oil there is in 8 shocks. ?? :yes:

now for the alu cups. Do you have a link to tower or will the RPM (i allready bought RPM everything) do fine. ?

Regards

Btw. You said you helped someone from Denmark. ? How ?

just store recomendations or.... ?? (just curious)

PM me on the help issue.

The aluminum caps are those referenced in my previous post.

Sorry.. Man am I blind. Did not se the headlines for the individual links....

Thanks again.:w00t: :w00t:

SkyMaxx <---

How is your combination of oil and spring color.

Trinity blue on the shocks with the 40wt in and black on the 50wt shocks or ??

Back