Ofna Blazer

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.21Rc10GT

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys,

My brother just gave me an older Ofna Blazer... I guess its like a truggy... It was blown up, but i guess it has a supposedly good engine in it... The truck itself is in good condition... just needs a little cleaning, and some oil in the diffs and shock rebuilds, and it should be ok. The engine is an OS .21 RZ-V99b... Is that any good? It has like an intake port thing where the pull start usually is... The piston pretty much fell apart, and the cod ron hole on the crank side is stretched... I guess he didnt know how to break it in, and just leaned it out till he got max power... He also gave me a Duratrax starter box and an FM pistol grip radio with 2 recievers. The piston/sleeve is $97... Is this engine worth rebuilding? If so, i will buy the new piston and sleeve. The funniest part of this truck is the body. It is a homemade body... Let me explain... The body is actually a lid off of a rubbermade plastic box that is cut so it is flat all around. He put all the stickers on it, like a real body. It just looks hilarious... I will take some pics and post em! Remember, i got this for free!!! :cheers:

Here are the pics... Everyone have a good laugh!!!! LOL

newrc.jpg

newrc1.jpg

Also, what kind of diff oil should i run in the F/C/R?

WOW....that's a mighty fine lid you got there, mighty fine... :LoL:

do we have a ulgy rc contest?? this one would be a good contender.. the wheels look like those old steelies that came on old 4x4's (1:1) lol and man i LOVE that lid.. dont have to worry about it busting.. its rubbermade lol

That body is the coolest body I have ever seen! It looks like a normal truck lid that got ran over and flattend like in cartoons haha, its sweet!

idk how good the engine is but the intake on the rear is a boost bottle.

LOL!!! I thought you guys would get a good laugh outta this... Its all in pieces now... I'm cleaning it all up, and getting a list together of parts i need to order... I'm gonna eventually get a new body for it... Probably a truck of some kind...

Well, i got the thing all apart. Gave all of the plastic pieces a bath in a simple green/water solution, then sprayed with some wd-40... they look like brand new now. The bearings got cleaned and lubed. All of the drive train got a good cleaning and the diffs are ready for oil... I just am wondering if these diffs can have oil... They arent sealed. They also have a planetary gear setup, instead of the spyder gears i am used to seeing... Can i use oil in these, or should i just use a super thick grease? Any reccomendations?

I need to put some new tires and wheels on there... I will use those for break in on the engine, then change em for somethin a little more... um... nicer looking. The body is also in need of a change.

All of the broken / bent parts found:

Engine:
Piston exploded/sleeve scratched to hell
Con rod bent and lower bushing stretched
Very minor rust on the crank

Driveline:
1 bent axle

Thats about it... Not bad, but the engine parts cost me a bundle... o well... parts should be here in about 1-2 days...

The rz99b is a pretty good engine. Not the best but certainly not an ofna!

don't waste the money on the engine.....you never know what else could be wrong w/ it...the rear bearing in that thing is like 70 bucks....what if it goes bad....the front is 30...that's 100 bucks you might need to add to your list....and then the P/S & conrod...your lookin at 200+.....so then the case breaks......it was a nice price point engine for it's day but don't make it your new money pit.......the truck sounds cool though...don't they still make the blazer???
and the lid is way cool.....it's a real LID......that's funny as hell...if you don't want it send it my way...I'll rock that puppy in a race.....

Plaid, if you want it, its yours!!!

I already bought the piston/sleeve/rod... I checked, and cleaned both bearings and checked for and interior rust or corrosion in the case, and it all looks and feels brand new... I put ARR on everything until i get the parts... Also got an HCR cooling head on ebay for $5, brand new...

Plaid, lemme know if you want the lid... I dont know if it will fit maxx body posts or anythin else... I'll have to look around to find a box that will fit it!!

just wrap it in cardboard and tape the hell out of it.....that lid is too funny to not use.....when you checked the bearings did you push in on the center pretty hard so you simulate a load.....I've got one from a VZ-b that I swapped out and it feels beautiful when you just spin it....but push in on the center race and it feels rougher than ya sista's *#@!......it sucked figuring out what was wrong with that engine cause you never felt the rough spots till you pushed on it.......point is just make sure everything else is true in that engine.......

Hey .21Rc10GT, I have some rims and tires FS(cheap!) whenever you start looking for them. They still make the Blazer, but its not the same as yours. Its the SST, a truggy based on the Violator.

This is called the Blazer SST... What kind of rims/tires you got?

plaid if you stunt the rubbermade lid in a race.. you HAVE to get that on video.. i would pay a dollar to see that!! lol hell just seeing it run around and busting a couple of big jumps would be good..

Ya, you should take it to some big, pro event, and be like, "ya man, I'm sponsored by rubbermaid, they're startin to get into RC now, and so I get all the free LIDS I want!" :LoL:

I wanna try it out before i send it to Plaid... I'm gonna get a vid of it, and a few pics, then its off to plaid...

cool....let me know when you're ready..I'll paypal ya some shipping costs....or I can e-mail ya a shipping label for fed ex...

Its gotta be the most aerodynamic lid i have ever seen... You truck will be faster! And, it will soar like a bird off of jumps!!!

I'm gonna get a new radio for this thing... I'm thinking the JR XS3... Its synthesized, and its FM... Its also cheaper than the pro... Only reason i need this, is i dont wanna run AM radio when someone else wants to drive, and i want to have more than one vehicle running when a friend comes over... The XS3 is only like $100... i also need 2 new servos.. The current servos are Hitec 605mg's and the wires are all beat to hell and back. I dont even want to mess with them... They are discontinued everywhere as well, so I'm guessing they are pretty old... I dont know what i want for servos.. I want something powerful and fast for steering.. and something powerful and kinda fast for throttle/brake. I dunno... I'm thinkin the hitec 625 for the throttle and the 645 for steering. I'm gonna have t-maxx sized tires on there, so a 645 should be good right? I dont wanna go digital just because of cost... Any suggestions?

Right on the money as for servos. You can always get the JR package and get the 270 and 590 servos with the radio, but the 590 would be for th/br and get a 645 for the steering. The 590 can be used for steering, but its a little weak. There is a JR 650 in the FS forum, it would be a good choice for the steering as well. Having a little better than a "stock" servo for th/br is a good idea, hauling those big tires down from speed is a chore.