NTC3 - question about differentials

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igorkv

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Let me try to explain my question:
I just noticed today that when I turn wheels on my NTC3, the left and right wheel turn in the same direction. I mean outer side of right wheel is turning in the same direction as the inner side if the left wheel. Front and rear.

When I do the same thing on my T-Maxx they turn in opposite directions.

Are in my NTC3 OK?

Thanks in advance,
Igor

If you hold one wheel steady and turn the other, does it bind or turn freely? If it turns freely, is it smooth? If it's smooth but still turns the other wheel you're ok. It probably means that your differential is turned in to the point where it acts more like an LSD (limited Slip Diferential) instead of an open diff.

If you want to make sure, open your diff and check the bearings as well as double check the adjustment screw inside the axle. Crank the screw all the way down so the spring is compressed completely and won't turn anymore. After you're sure it's all the way down, back it out 1/4 of a turn You will be at factory settings.

Thanks Diver. In this case what is the differnce between
LSD and open diff? Which to use when?

An open diff will basically do what your tmaxx is doing. On the driving surface, when one wheel looses traction, that's where most of the power will be routed and that wheel will spin faster than the other. With an LSD, both wheels will spin at the same time because power will be distributed evenly between the two sides. Only difference between this (LSD) and a solid axle is that an LSD will give at a point and let one wheel have more power. A solid axle will have full power to both wheels.

So which one is better for driving/handling - LSD or open?

I would say always using open-diff for on-road car.
IMO, LSD for off road only. The whole idea is you won't loss power (free spin to other wheel) while it is climbing some rock.

Still learning........

You need a tighter diff in an on-road as well, so an LSD is called for. Power needs to be planted in order to keep lap times down and traction up. It's not just an off-road necessity. Only thing is that the tighter the diff or even in a solid axle, you have more tendency to oversteer (if it's in the rear). What is done to the rear must be compensated for in the front via diff or suspension settings.

The NTC3 manual has a section regarding the diff tightness so you can have an idea of what to expect. A good place to start is keeping the diff at 1/4 turn out and work from there. Only do one adjustment at a time or else you may be overwhelmed and frustration will be your best friend.

Back