novarossi 2.5 pullstart conversion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickenman242

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
does anyone happen to know what pullstart will bolt up to my nova? ,i dont mind the roto but its the only engine i have with it and i'd much perfer a pull start.
i did read somwhere that a .12-.15 pullstart would fit but i dont know which one,if anyone has a part number a would appeciate it muchly:)

Novarossi uses an internal OWB with a 12mm hex starter shaft/drag pin. I don’t think there is anyway to mod a Traxxas pull start to fit even if you could bolt it to the back plate. Most other engines that use a hex starter shaft use a 14mm pull start spool so it may be difficult if not almost impossible to find one from another manufacturer to fit.

The Nova BB engines with pull/roto start use the same setup, an internal owb and 12mm hex starter shaft so if the back plate spread pattern is the same they may work???. If you have a caliper, measure the spread pattern of the roto start back plate and I’ll look at my novas to see if any may be compatible. Check the starter shaft hex size also, I don’t have the .15 on hand to measure but I believe they are 12mm hex.

You may also want to look at the other Novo SB engines to see what may be compatible with what you have.

thanks for the info guys I remember seeing an ebay listing a while back,maybe 6 months ago a dude was selling 2 novas both of which had pullstarts so I'm hoping there is a way
snook man the distance between the screws is 18.53mm and the starter hex point to point is 11.27mmand on the flat side is 10.00mm if that makes sense lol

The starter shaft hex dimensions are the same (even the BB engines) but the back plate screw pattern dimensions are different.

Being that small of a screw pattern on the back plate you will most likely have to try a SB nova pull start.

It took about a year after the Nova .28 with (roto-start) was released before they came out with a pull start for it...

I emailed novarossi last night asking them and I got a response in the morning saying they would email me some more info so fingers crossed.
they only small sb engine I have here is a pro .15 I will measure that shortly to get a comparison but I still think that will be too big

Yea I looked at the pro.15 pull start. Too big for back plate and nova hex is too small.

Thats bad news for the Maxx owner who intends to use a pull start or EZ Start with their Novarossi 2.5 engine. That's whole idea of aftermarket Maxx compatible engines. Hassle free replacement with no mods required.

I wonder if the BB Novarossi pull start shares the same bolt pattern as the SB backplate? :ponder2:

Last edited:
I have this engine in a slayer pro I built from scratch last year and this engine is a demon ,it smokes the 3.3 and I get around 20 min runtime my only gripe is the roto start as when I go out I try to carry as little with me as possible plus I don't have a roto gun and have to use my old Makita drill to start it.
I think if it came with a pullstart option I think it would be way more popular ,hell I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I can make it happen

so I got an email back from novarossi ,they gave me 3 part numbers to do the pullstart thing 22603,13610 and 22613 .I have located 22602 at amain but the other 2 come from some Italian rc part site if anyone know where to get the other 2 that would be sweet.

I may have a lead ,I have to say novarossi customer support is 10/10
i'll keep everyone posted

Back