Not quite a T Maxx... Trans blew up!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moparrob

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well, I decided to get my 6 year old son a truck with less moving parts than my T maxx, figuring it would be easier to maintain if/when he demolished it. WRONG

I picked up a Nitro Stampede and promptly stuffed a TRX 2.5 into it. BAD MOVE I just took it out and it ran great for 5 minutes, that is, until it stopped moving..... :loser:

I'm going to take it apart (again) tonight, but I'm sure I fried some plastic gear inside the trans. SO the question becomes:

Do I simply rebuild it back to stock and hope it doesn't fry itself again, OR, are there better parts out there to replace the plastic gears with. It's really too bad because the truck is alot of fun, wheelies like crazy, and is fairly stable.

As usual, and and all help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Anybody want a good deal on a tricked out Nitro Stampede that needs a new trans? Swap for a SportMaxx?:naughty:

The problem might be that your son is 6 and probably isn't ready for any nitro vehicle at all. If I were you I'd get him an E-Maxx, and even at 6 that'd be pushing it hard. But I'm assuming he's just driving, and you're doing the maintaining.

You're correct in that all he is doing at this point is enjoying all the benefits of my labor. That's ok though. The problem with the truck really has nothing to do with him. I think the 2.5 is too much motor for the stock trans.

Anyone else experience this problem?

Yeah man, that 'pede wasn't designed for the 2.5! The Nitro Stampede is an entry level truck, designed to handle an entry level engine. It's just like stuffing a big block into a T-Maxx....you need to upgrade certain componens to handle the power.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe that vehicle has aftermarket tranny parts.

If you are dead set on keeping the 2.5 in it though you do have an option.

If you send out a stock set of plastic gears and have them Plastic Chrome plated, which means they Chrome plate the gears (kinda like a grill on a 1:1 car).

It will make the gears much stronger do to the structuring after the gears have a hard coating. This is not very expensive and would hold up to a 2.5 without a problem. It may have a problem if you went to a high end .21, but I don't think that is your intensions.

My 2 cents

Back