Not an RC Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Wrench

My last words will likely be, Crap that didn't wo
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Have a decidedly non-RC question.

My exterior house lights are low voltage coming out of a transformer.

They hadn't been coming on lately, so today being a rare, warm and dry day I'm SW Ohio, decided to look into it.

Checked the plug, made sure the outlet was getting power and all seemed good, but still no lights.

Took the transformer off, turned it upside down to check the connections, all good.

Recounted the transformer and thought, what the heck and tried it again and wouldn't you know it, they work!

So, if anyone is more educated in the ways of electricity and transformers can explain why they suddenly now work, interested to learn why.

I can hear a kind of "knock" sound and a hum from the transformer, so not sure if the unit is failing or if that is normal. I do know the unit itself is older, so maybe it is starting to fail.

Anyway, if someone has ideas as to why, interested in hearing them!

Sounds like a loose connection in the transformer box. When you turned it over it moved and the connection re-connected.
Is it getting any moisture in the trans box? Probably ready to fail. Might want to look into it more to fix or replace it as it has high voltage in there and if shorted, can cause a fire.

Sounds like a loose connection in the transformer box. When you turned it over it moved and the connection re-connected.
Is it getting any moisture in the trans box? Probably ready to fail. Might want to look into it more to fix or replace it as it has high voltage in there and if shorted, can cause a fire.
Good to know. It is getting older and long term, thinking of going solar, but may get a replacement for now. Appreciate the tip!

My guess is a loose connection or a wire break. Could also just be an intermittent issue with the transformer itself. Since its older if you can get a replacement for it then Id go ahead and try that and see if that fixes the issue. If not then the problem probably lies in the wiring. Really hard to say with out seeing the set up and running some voltage and continuity checks on it.

Perhaps the electrons had clumped up in the bottom and wouldn't come out.

Or it has a relay in it that needed shook up a bit?

I bought a new heat gun and it didnt make heat so I banged it on the workbench. Then it worked.

also my computer is noisy until I kick it the right way

It's just how it is

Back