noob needs help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GKDSoldier

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
howdy yall

so i am gettin tired of the two trashed scratched an cracked to beat hell bodies an was wantin to paint another body myself only problem is i have never used a air brush an was just gonna get a cheap one from wally world i was gonna do a solid color with two racin stripes dont know what color or if i will even do this scheme maybe someone could tell me somethin better to do? but what i need help with is layin out the lines an spray technique? if anyone would be kind enough to point this noob in the right direction is would be gratefully recived thanks in advance

You really don't need an airbrush unless you want to do custom colors or detailed work. Since you're new to painting you can do it with the spray paints from your hobby shop. It has to be formulated for polycarbonate or Lexan. Hardware store paints will peel off. I think all the Krylon paints work, but wait for someone to second that.

well i am a perfectionist an i tried a rattle can on one of my old bodies an it looked like crap an it was krylon rattle can so i was gonna try a air brush any pointers on layin out the stripes?

For stripes I would think you could just lay down a couple lines of masking tape and then pain the main color and wait for that to dry then remove the tape and lay down your stripe color. That's how I think it would be done since you pain on the inside of the body. Don't take my word for it because I have never done it befor.

Just a suggestion. I have a cheap Testors airbrush. I just painted a body with Parma Faskolor acrylic paint. It's ready to spray out of the bottle, and it turned out really good. This was the first RC body I've painted, and while it's not perfect, I think it turned out really nice. There's a nice variety of colors, and you can mix them really easy, since they are ready to spray.

If you're not getting into serious airbrushing yet, this is the way to go. But get two cans of propellant right away. This gives you a chance to learn how to set your spray before you start to paint. To learn how, just use water. This will give you an idea how the spray is going to look, but keep in mind that the water isn't going to spray the same as the paint because it's not as thick.

Another nice thing about the acrylic paint, is that you can clean all your paint in your kitchen sink, without leaving stains. Just soap and water. Try it. I think it's actually easier than spray can, and you won't get runs unless you run a really thick spray.

Best part about Parma Faskolor paints. No fumes. You can paint in the living room if you want, and you'll hardly notice it.

THIN COATS! No matter WHAT you spray with, trying to get it with one coat results in a lousy job. Take your time. Be patient when it comes to dry time. Several thin coats and a good backer will give you a perfect paint job every time. Good luck. It's a learning curve, and you'll be getting more creative with every lid you do.

ok i have decided to go with one of two choices a black body with gold stripes or silver body with black stripes what color should i use for the backing color?

I always back anything silver or chrome with black. It helps make the metallic look pop.