Non starting engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rc legend

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,i have a problem with my engine of not starting,i have checked for air leaks but look s all good,fuel lines are good,new fuel tank,it do es try to start,like going tight,there is good com pression,does the exhaust manifold need a gas ket on?also the carburettor is not the origanal,
it fits obvoiusly but would this stop it from no t starting?everythomg seems tight but running
out of ideas?

can anyone help me?

Thanks

There needs to be a gasket or seal on the header. It would help if we knew what engine you have. And what starting equipment you're using. Sometimes it's the little things.

its the vertex 18 engine with a pullstart

First of all, make sure that your glowplug igniter is fully charged. Then check and see that the glowplug glows a bright orange on the igniter out of the engine.

We have no real history on it ,being that it does have a different carb on it ,You will have to play with
the carb adjustments to match up with the engine ,I don't know about the vertex engine ,but normally
the older small engines like that the hsn adjustments should be around about 2 to 3 turns out.

If its got good compression an everything seems to be good like you said ,an you say its got
a different carb on it ,then more than likely its the carb settings

You can start with Hsn set at 3 turns out ,the Lsn at flush with the housing an also make sure
that the carb barrel itself has a gap about the size of a pencil led.

Tried everything that everyone suggested but still no joy I'm afraid,could it be a small air leak somewh
ere?would an airleak stop it from fireing up?

Tried everthing but.still no joy,could a small air leak
cause it to not fire up?

Tried everything that everyone suggested but still no joy I'm afraid,could it be a small air leak somewh
ere?would an airleak stop it from fireing up?

Tried everthing but.still no joy,could a small air leak
cause it to not fire up?

Upon starting a nitro engine ,you have to make sure that you have good fuel flow to the carb.
If your fuel line is the type you can see the flow ,then you sould be able to see the fuel flow
up to the carb. ,if you don't see that ,then there is some kind of restriction or air leak ,the tube
that goes to the muffler is very important because it pressurizes the fuel tank to push the fuel to
the carb.
May I ask how the line is attached to the muffler?
If the tube just slides in a hole in the muffler then it could be bottomed out inside restricting
the pressure from getting to the tank.The remedy for that is to cut the end of tube in an angle
an stick it back in muffler.
If the tube plugs on to a nipple ,then you should be ok ,unless the nipple itself is plugged.

Make sure that your fuel tank has a good seal around the lid.
An make sure you have a visible on fuel movement from tank to carb.

Thanks,i will do everything you suggest & get back
to you:)

Nothing works so i have a major issue with my engine at this moment

Nothing works so i have a major issue with my engine at this moment

Have you ever had this engine started & running?
You might need to take it apart.
If theres nothing internal wrong with it ,I don't see why it shouldn't atleast fire up!
Even if you squirt a little fuel in the carb throat ,it should fire.
If the engine is second hand ,an you did not do anything to it but just try to start it.
If any engines set for along period ,then the carb could be plugged.
The head could be leaking or every thing combined.

You might just want to take it all apart an inspect it ,clean it & make sure every thing is sealed
& tight.An then dissect the carb ,an clean ,make sure that theres no debri blocking the needles .
lube the needle O-rings aswell.

Like this!...:cool:

Rc_007.jpg

Rc_015.jpg

Rc_013.jpg

Rc_014.jpg

Rc_016.jpg

This is that engine before cleaned ,it shows where all of the leaks were.
This engine was never tuned & leaned after break-in ,so the owner didn't get to enjoy it.
But I got to!...:D

Rc_001.jpg

Rc_002.jpg

Rc_003.jpg

Rc_004.jpg

Rc_006.jpg

I will take it apart then post a few pictures so someone can guide me if they see anything wron g:)

Check the following:

Glow plug works
Glow plug Igniter is charged up
Fuel line
Engine Its not Flooded
Engines been Primed enough
There is no air leak

2 tips I can give you:

- Remove the Glow plug and put a couple of drops of fuel directly into the engine pull the starter a couple of times to clear out the excess fuel.
- Open the throttle slightly using the throttle trim on the remote control.
- Warm up the engine with a hair blow dryer.

If you've tried all this and it still doesn't start then there is something seriously wrong.

This is the.engine

more

more

Attachments

• 20160515_121020.jpg
    20160515_121020.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 20160515_120938.jpg
    20160515_120938.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 20160515_121035.jpg
    20160515_121035.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 128
It surely looks to me that the engine was leaking like a siff !
When you removed the head ,how tight was the screws ?

the head screws were really tight

should there be somesort of gasket seal on the head?

the head screws were really tight

should there be somesort of gasket seal on the head?

There should be a shim or two ,there not really seals ,but theyare suppose to seal.
If they are scarred or gouged they will leak.
They are real thin an very hard to see!