Non-ballooning Tires?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tj23

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
What is a stable tire and wheel combination for a traxxas jato? I have Banditos on it now and they balloon too much at high speed. The car gets squirrelly after a short distance. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Belted tires. Proline makes belted tires. Not sure if they would fit the jato. If the jato has 12mm hexes then any wheel with 12mm hexes would work. I would buy any tires that fit the rustler since the jato uses rustler wheel and tire sizes.

there are several makers that have belted tire gravity rc. sweep I dont use belted tires for my speed cars I use jaco foams but my rcs are 1/6 scale not 1/10 scale. id o a facebook search there are a few makers listed on facebook..read jaco use a 2.8" tire

i have experienced jato and these tyres, summer 2021, also other expesive wheels, these duratrax are awsome, and great price,
buy them, you will never regret,

very good grip on dirt, loose sand, also onroad, long lasting, no balooning, these are top choice to be honest,
very well glued also
i did run 65mph no issues

Belted tires. Proline makes belted tires. Not sure if they would fit the jato. If the jato has 12mm hexes then any wheel with 12mm hexes would work. I would buy any tires that fit the rustler since the jato uses rustler wheel and tire sizes.

+1 to belted tires, in fact 1/8 GT tires are going to be the best route.

I would look into getting 17mm hex adapters and consider Sweep EXP50 Belted Radials:
https://www.sweepracingusa.com/8th-...pc-tire-set-with-Pre-Glued-options_p_266.html

If you're doing speed runs on no-prep asphalt, then I would sauce the tires with PB Blaster to get amazing grip, at the expense of faster tire wear.

i have experienced jato and these tyres, summer 2021, also other expesive wheels, these duratrax are awsome, and great price,
buy them, you will never regret,

very good grip on dirt, loose sand, also onroad, long lasting, no balooning, these are top choice to be honest,
very well glued also
i did run 65mph no issues
I used duratrax tires before. They are pretty nice. Lots of traction on the street, off road ect for my bashing. I stripped a set of wheels before. But it's totally my fault because the wheel nuts I been using back off very easily.

What is a stable tire and wheel combination for a traxxas jato? I have Banditos on it now and they balloon too much at high speed. The car gets squirrelly after a short distance. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I found a YouTube video with an excellent Duct-Tape Belted tire mod.

Turn your tires inside out. So you get a flattened donut with tread on the inside.
Roughen and clean the exposed inside of the tire.
Cut a much longer than you think you need piece of duct tape, starting at a 45 degree angle on the ends.
Wrap the tape tightly around the tire, twice. Cut the left over end at an angle.
Press the belt into the tire. Turn the tire right-side-in. Make sure the belts are stuck by pressing all of the tape belts to the inside of the tires with your fingers.
Insert the foams, mount and glue the tires.

NOTE:
This mod makes your tires heavier, with higher rotational inertia.
They put more strain on my motor and it overheated.
Fixed that with lower gearing and a motor heatsink & fan.

I attempted the duct tape method and it only works for maybe 1-2 speed runs, I've grown to appreciate the belted radials from Sweep where GT8 tires have proven to me the best speed run tire on the market if you want long term stability to get the most out of your investment ;)

Back