NitroStar 15FE replacement?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amoeba

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
For quite some time I had no issues with the original mill in my HPI RS4 MT but must have let out the magic smoke somehow because now it's toast. No compression. With good compression pulling on the pullstart should lift the car if not held down. LHS nitro guy (whom I trust implicitly, he knows his shizzle) took a look at it and confirmed the compression is gone and a rebuild or replacement is needed. Only problem is the NitroStar 15FE has been discontinued for a while and uses an odd length clutch assembly. They were unable to locate a suitable drop-in replacement.

I'll call the engine contact I have at HPI to see if the MT2 engine & clutch will work (comes with a somewhat adjustable engine mount but with holiday & inauguration won't be avail til Wednesday. If the MT2 I bought from charliejp gets here before then I can try it myself but in the meantime, anyone else replaced an FE15 on an MT and what worked?

Just looking for some options or ideas here...

If I have time, I'll pull my FE from my nitro RS4 and compare it to my OS .18 CVR-X that I have as a spare. There may be some slight differences in crankcase size. But aftermarket adjustable engine mounts should be easy to find and pretty cheap. Besides, having an adjustable engine mount helps a ton with maintenance.
I'll also check the length of the threaded portion of the crankshaft. I'm thinking they're close, but a quick measurement should tell.

If I have time, I'll pull my FE from my nitro RS4 and compare it to my OS .18 CVR-X that I have as a spare. There may be some slight differences in crankcase size. But aftermarket adjustable engine mounts should be easy to find and pretty cheap. Besides, having an adjustable engine mount helps a ton with maintenance.
I'll also check the length of the threaded portion of the crankshaft. I'm thinking they're close, but a quick measurement should tell.

Thanks Candyman. We did do a comparison at the LHS with the OS .18 CVR-X but it was eyeballed (FE was still bolted to chassis). It *could* be made to fit but the pilot nut needed is discontinued. Whee!

Maybe with exact measurements there will be a suitable replacement nut or I could see if EEM or similar has something viable.

Great. Now you've got me curious. Which means I'll spend a fair amount of the evening with wenches in hand and my calipers fired up. I'm of the mindset that they should be damn close to a direct swap, but we'll see.

Great. Now you've got me curious. Which means I'll spend a fair amount of the evening with wenches in hand and my calipers fired up. I'm of the mindset that they should be damn close to a direct swap, but we'll see.

Well don't go overboard :)

I'm just trying to avoid having to buy a whole new clutch setup too. If possible I wanted to see if I can get away with just an adjustable engine mount & mill.

Hey, what good is this place if we don't go completely overboard?

For quite some time I had no issues with the original mill in my HPI RS4 MT but must have let out the magic smoke somehow because now it's toast. No compression. With good compression pulling on the pullstart should lift the car if not held down. LHS nitro guy (whom I trust implicitly, he knows his shizzle) took a look at it and confirmed the compression is gone and a rebuild or replacement is needed. Only problem is the NitroStar 15FE has been discontinued for a while and uses an odd length clutch assembly. They were unable to locate a suitable drop-in replacement.

I'll call the engine contact I have at HPI to see if the MT2 engine & clutch will work (comes with a somewhat adjustable engine mount but with holiday & inauguration won't be avail til Wednesday. If the MT2 I bought from charliejp gets here before then I can try it myself but in the meantime, anyone else replaced an FE15 on an MT and what worked?

Just looking for some options or ideas here...

I hope you find out because I have the same exact problem right now...my manual says u can upgrade to the
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/15105/
i just do know if I want another hpi engine...

If I am not mistaken the MT2 uses a chassis very similar to the RS4 3, I know the MT1 definitely did, but I am not that familiar with the MT2. I replaced the HPI 15 FE with a OS .15 CVX Hyper in my RS4 3 with no problem other than having to buy a new engine mount and engine screws since the HPI engine bolts through the chassis directly in to the engine block, and the OS does not. You will need the long crank version, not the short crank. I was able to use the hpi flywheel and two speed clutchbell as well. Also if you have the two speed tranny you will need to change the spring in the tranny clutch when you go from the HPI mill to a more powerful mill.

Just to confirm what NCNitro said, the shaft on the OS and the HPI are the same size. Although I couldn't exactly match it up because my OS has a cut shaft since I used it in my old T-Maxx, I can thread the clutch nut from the HPI right on with no problem. All the other parts fit fine, too. So, the OS should easily be a direct drop-in. The only considerations are getting an adjustable engine mount, and any linkages if you change from a rotary to a slide, if that's your choice.

They are indeed the same Candyman. and you definitely have to buy a motor mount. The one I got was a heat sink style that is actually two seperate pieces, one for each side of the engine. I can't find the same ones I bought, but these are similar. Make sure you get the correct ones, they are different for pull start or bump start.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0010p?&I=HPIC6045

Amoeba do you want to sell that HPI RS4? I have 2 cars with the same engine and need some parts. If not I have used Team Assoiated parts in that engine before ' crank' bearings' and such. It might be worth a check to see if piston and sleeve will work.

Amoeba do you want to sell that HPI RS4? I have 2 cars with the same engine and need some parts. If not I have used Team Assoiated parts in that engine before ' crank' bearings' and such. It might be worth a check to see if piston and sleeve will work.

Step away from my HPI MT's or someone might get hurt :)

I now have 4 of them. Two RS4 MT's and two MT2's. I love me some MT action.

Thanks for the TA tip. I'll keep that in mind for the future. As of now, I'm waiting on the exchanged G3.0 to come in for this.

Hey Amoeba I ment to ask if you wanted to sell that moter not the car. Do you know anything abought the RS4 cars I have 1 that is a RS4 ss 18 that is gear drive. The other is a belt drive and the engine is on the other side and sits sideways. Both are HPI 4 wheel drive.

Hey Amoeba I ment to ask if you wanted to sell that moter not the car. Do you know anything abought the RS4 cars I have 1 that is a RS4 ss 18 that is gear drive. The other is a belt drive and the engine is on the other side and sits sideways. Both are HPI 4 wheel drive.

I could sell you the motor but not sure why you'd want it, it needs to be replaced. Doesn't make any sense.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you' but I've been realy busy. The reason I would want that engine is that I have access to a machine shop and I like to see what I can get out of an engine by lightening the crank and flywheel. I also do some port work to see what I can get away with. I hope this helps it make sence to you.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you' but I've been realy busy. The reason I would want that engine is that I have access to a machine shop and I like to see what I can get out of an engine by lightening the crank and flywheel. I also do some port work to see what I can get away with. I hope this helps it make sence to you.

Ah, I see what you mean. Unfortunately, I've already sent them in for exchange.