nitro tuning question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
while I have gotten half way decent at tuning a nitro engine there is one thing that confuses me when trying to follow a tuning flow chart or guide. One thing that never seems to be mentioned in them is what does it mean when your kit will idle fine but while its idleing it periodically revs a tad and then settles back down and just keeps doing that? Is that bad fuel? cuz I'm starting to think thats why I couldnt get my motors to run smoothly today. Anything else that causes that?

is your idle gap to wide? when the idle gap is set to wide the LSN is pulled out of its seat so far that it is not metering the mixture. A properly set gap should choke the engine down.

The idle gap was only 1mm approx and it was doing it after resetting the needles to stock. I'm beginning to suspect bad fuel...I'm gonna buy fresh fuel today and tomorrow I'm gonna try it again and see if it doesn't act right.

Ok I think I figured it out....LSN was to lean and gap wasn't big enough....I richened the LSN and gave it some more gap and it started Idling better without revving up periodically.

Problem I have now is the XXL wont shift into second gear. The stock setting is five turns out. I've tried 4 turns, 5 turns, and 6 turns out and none of them made any difference. Any ideas on that one?

Air bubbles in the line will do the same thing.....inconsistent idle.

Typically when my MGT wont shift to 2nd I lean it out about a 1/2 turn and do a couple hot laps. Once it starts shifting I rerichen to where I was and start to break stuff again.

Bkyd Basher - The airbubbles are caused from an airleak somewhere in the fuel assembly. A bad spot for me use to be around my fuelfilters. A couple zipties fixed that pretty quick

Yup. Typically an air leak at the cap or filter or a pinhole in the line.

I'm not getting any air bubbles in the fuel line and I can lean out the HSN some more and try it but I was already running at 234F when I was messing with it Monday which seems to me like it would be lean enough to shift. I could try replacing that part that you have to adjust (dont know that that thing is called) in my slipper assembly and see if that does any good but the one I have doesn't really look bad although I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Love this hobby! Theres nothing like trying to figure out something that aint workin right lol ^_^

Temp is just a guideline. It's not a hard and fast rule. EVERY engine runs differently. Even 2 of the exact same brand/model. My TRX3.3 ran like crap until it was in the 280 range. My GRP loved to be @ 210......pretty big range. Listen to the engine...feel the power it's making....and look at your smoke trail. Then if you wanna temp it....go for it. Some guys throw away their temp guns.