Nitro rc tuning

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheUnownKitty

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Does anybody know of a good video I could watch to learn more about tuning nitros. I have a traxxas 4-tec

Squirrel has some good, easy to follow videos. Check him out.

I'm sure you can find some tuning vids specifically for the 4-tec.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet thank you very much

When first learning how to tune, you will hate life, but once you learn it will be so easy. Just stick with it.

Yeah I know lol it sucks but not I'm starting to get the hang of it just gotta know what to do and when to do it. And do you know where I could buy like a cheap but not too cheap temp gun. Home Depot would have them right?

I think so. I got mine from Harbor Freight for $30.

i bought a nice one from savage auto for 80 bucks, its not cheap but its for more than temp checking. you adjust a temp cut off so it will alarm at a temp you set, can adjust how sensitive the monitor is. Its clamped next to my cooling head to check, cooling heads usually run about 10degrees higher give or take, than the actual block. if you get one, the laser on it is just to aim, the actual temp reads about an inch below the laser. Id get one you can mount on your rc that runs the temp check at all times. Its not a necessity, but its nice to have.

What the names of them so I can look them up

Cool well I just got one so thanks it only cost me $32 so that's not bad it just a ryobi non contact one

this is going to sound crazy to you guys.... But on of the worst things you can do when tuning a nitro engine is rely on a temp gun... I use a temperature when I do breakins, but never for running.... Temperature really doesn't matter much with a nitro, they can run anywhere between 190 and 350 safely...And unfortunately they can be a cool as 190 degrees and sill be damagingly lean....or above 300 and still excessively rich............. temperature really is irrelevant when it comes to tuning, so much so I actually suggest most guys stop using a temp gun altogether as its probably hurting them more then its helping them...

The way to tune is by sound and performance....if a engine sounds good and performs good then it it is good no matter what the temperature is, it is truly that simple....If the engine is idling normal and performing nicely and my tamp gun told me it was 600 degrees i wouldn't change a thing......The reason for this is a overheating engine sounds terrible, they ring ping ping like crazy and will sound like your trying to crucify a goat.... If a engine sounds normal and is idling nice and low it is not overheating, no matter what the temp gun says...... If a engine has proper power and makes full RPM, then will idle down nice cleanly afterwards it is not too lean or overheating.... A engine thats too lean will ring ping ping and carry RPM after a high speed run,

the key to tuning is listening to how the engine idles and how it idles down after a high speed pass.....A properly tuned happy engine will idle down cleany after a hard run... It may have a slight 2 stage as it idles down, but only for a second or two at most, and afterwards the engine falls to a nice low steady idle........... If your engine can do this, idle down after a hard run it is not lean and it is not overheating..as this is something a lean overheating engine will do every single time

Now a improperly functioning linkage will simulate the sounds of a lean engine...as it will fail to return the throttle back to the true idle position, which will make the engine ring ping ping and sound lean....when all that is happening is the throttle is being held slightly open causing the engine to run on,,,,,

in the end drop the temp guns your engines will run nicer for it !

this is going to sound crazy to you guys.... But on of the worst things you can do when tuning a nitro engine is rely on a temp gun... I use a temperature when I do breakins, but never for running.... Temperature really doesn't matter much with a nitro, they can run anywhere between 190 and 350 safely...And unfortunately they can be a cool as 190 degrees and sill be damagingly lean....or above 300 and still excessively rich............. temperature really is irrelevant when it comes to tuning, so much so I actually suggest most guys stop using a temp gun altogether as its probably hurting them more then its helping them...

The way to tune is by sound and performance....if a engine sounds good and performs good then it it is good no matter what the temperature is, it is truly that simple....If the engine is idling normal and performing nicely and my tamp gun told me it was 600 degrees i wouldn't change a thing......The reason for this is a overheating engine sounds terrible, they ring ping ping like crazy and will sound like your trying to crucify a goat.... If a engine sounds normal and is idling nice and low it is not overheating, no matter what the temp gun says...... If a engine has proper power and makes full RPM, then will idle down nice cleanly afterwards it is not too lean or overheating.... A engine thats too lean will ring ping ping and carry RPM after a high speed run,

the key to tuning is listening to how the engine idles and how it idles down after a high speed pass.....A properly tuned happy engine will idle down cleany after a hard run... It may have a slight 2 stage as it idles down, but only for a second or two at most, and afterwards the engine falls to a nice low steady idle........... If your engine can do this, idle down after a hard run it is not lean and it is not overheating..as this is something a lean overheating engine will do every single time

Now a improperly functioning linkage will simulate the sounds of a lean engine...as it will fail to return the throttle back to the true idle position, which will make the engine ring ping ping and sound lean....when all that is happening is the throttle is being held slightly open causing the engine to run on,,,,,

in the end drop the temp guns your engines will run nicer for it !

Thats exactly what I do. Temp gun gets put back in the drawer once then engine is broken in. And a temp gun during break in isnt to prevent overheating, its to make sure its hot enough!

Well I don't need it only for nitro I need it for other stuff also

---------- Post added at 3:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:49 PM ----------

And I need to richen my engine if there's lots of smoke out of the ex right

---------- Post added at 3:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:50 PM ----------

Exhaust*

Lots of smoke = rich. U need to lean it.

Here is a very helpful video for tuning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine keeps bogging when I go full throttle anything I do it will keep bogging. What do I do?

Does it do it when you stab the throttle or when you are rolling and you go the full throttle? Does it hit the top of the rpm range or does it never really get there? It sounds like you are rich on the top.