nitro rc not accelerating even at factory settings pls help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroadrcguy

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
  5. Flying
my traxxas tmax 2.5 wont accelerate from a standstill point to full throttle. when i floor the throttle it cuts out immediately with a burst of smoke out from the exhaust then cuts out. when i gradually accelerate, it doest cut out until 2/3 throttle when it makes a sputtering sound if i continue holding the throttle it cuts out. this is happening even at factory settings. i tried adjusting the HSN and the LSN but still no luck

please help
could it have anything to do with the gas tank because the truck was sitting for a long time and was gelled up but i partially cleaned it out so that it could at least start.

my traxxas tmax 2.5 wont accelerate from a standstill point to full throttle. when i floor the throttle it cuts out immediately with a burst of smoke out from the exhaust then cuts out. when i gradually accelerate, it doest cut out until 2/3 throttle when it makes a sputtering sound if i continue holding the throttle it cuts out. this is happening even at factory settings. i tried adjusting the HSN and the LSN but still no luck

please help
could it have anything to do with the gas tank because the truck was sitting for a long time and was gelled up but i partially cleaned it out so that it could at least start.
Plug bro sounds like classic flamouts to me and make sure it's the correct reach and glow for the engine. Makes all the difference mate

I'm using a brand new plug but it Still happens
I also am not able to hit top speed. After 1/2 or 2/3 throttle the high pitched tone that you usually hear starts to fluctuate and if you hold it any longer it dies

I'm using a brand new plug but it Still happens
I also am not able to hit top speed. After 1/2 or 2/3 throttle the high pitched tone that you usually hear starts to fluctuate and if you hold it any longer it dies
I had something similar this weekend.

I leaned out the HSN and it started doing what you describe. Almost as if the car is backfiring. Then I richened the mixture again and it was fine and I was able to hit WOT.

I need to watch some videos on tuning. Maybe my LSN and HSN are out of whack.

I tried richening the link but the more I richend it it started too get better but i was way past factory settings like 15 turns out

I tried richening the link but the more I richend it it started too get better but i was way past factory settings like 15 turns out
Ah ok.

My engine is so unknown, I don't know what factory settings are. LOL!

I started off with the HSN flush with the housing. Leaned it, found the misfiring issue. Went back a half a turn it was fine.

In a trx2.5 the factory settings for the HSN is 4 turns out. So i dont understand if i have to lean it or richen it. for the LSN until its flush with the ring. For the land can you tell me approx how many turns that is from closed

i appreciate any help
I dont understand what you mean by HSN flush with housing. Do you mean until its fully tightened to the right.

In a trx2.5 the factory settings for the HSN is 4 turns out. So i dont understand if i have to lean it or richen it. for the LSN until its flush with the ring. For the land can you tell me approx how many turns that is from closed

i appreciate any help
I dont understand what you mean by HSN flush with housing. Do you mean until its fully tightened to the right.
It all depends where factory settings are.

When I say flush with housing, the screw is flush with the brass housing it's in. Meaning, right at the top as in this picture.

So if you need to go factory settings you will need to screw in the HSN until it cannot anymore (don't over tighten, only when there is resistance), then 4 full turns out. Same with whatever the setting are for the LSN.

But turning the screws to tune is little by little. Like 1/4 turn or so. Not full turns at once.

Attachments

• rc-carb-basics.jpg
    rc-carb-basics.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 63
F62A9CCE-1844-400A-A51F-95655454998A.jpeg

My HSN looks like this so i tighten it until it doesn’t tighten anymore then i open it 4 turuns out
For the LSN it says in the manual that it has to be flush with the inner ring
Is this correct

I would do a full clean on the carburetor that is pulling it apart and clean it out. Make sure nothing is clogged.

Just making sure it this has nothing to do with the fuel tank because its old and the seal is partially broken
@mzanzirc i think so because that’s the setting they use for regular driving before tuning. But shouldn’t it still not stall when fully accelerated even at factory settings
edit (if anyone can please walk through the steps of tuning the engine for everyday driving (trx2.5)
Also is this Normal/after i start the engine but when i take out the glow plug charger the engine drops rpms. Is it also normal for there to be smoke coming out from the fuel tank because if i manage to get the car moving without stalling after a few minutes you can see smoke coming out from the gas tank. Is this normal
I would do a full clean on the carburetor that is pulling it apart and clean it out. Make sure nothing is clogged.
Ok i will take it apart to clean it but is there any thing specific i should clean it with?

Last edited:
replace fuel lines.clean tank correctly then clean carb since you contaminated it with 1/2 clean tank.there is no 1/2s in this hobby its 100% of trouble insues

I think you answered your own question when you said "partially". Partially as far as nitro unfortunately won't get you very far. Tear it all down and clean everything and use brand new fuel line.

i have cleand out the HSN and saw there was a metalic cloth type peice wedged in when i cleand that and started it, it works perfectly after tuning.
thanks everyone for your help

Hope it is not someone try to made a fuel filter with it :cool:.
i have cleand out the HSN and saw there was a metalic cloth type peice wedged in when i cleand that and started it, it works perfectly after tuning.

I might need to take my HSN apart then as well and have a looksee in there.