Nitro head gasket replacement

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyoshohouse

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi guys i have been having problems with a head gasket on a 12cv engine i would fit as normal but after a few days i had to change the heat sink and when i took off the head the gasket was wet underneath with nitro fuel is this normal I tightened it up the correct way i just don’t want to end up over tightening it then i read that when refitting a gasket to clean it first and oil it i have never heard of oiling the alloy shim head gasket on a nitro engine before would this help seal it i just don’t know any help would be appreciated thank you.
FFB9FF61-DA81-44D2-9449-5091C0F7BC0E.jpeg

Sometimes the screws will work loose an cause leaks an sometimes the factory doesn't get them tight
enough ,I've gotten new engines with loose heads before.
Just do what the directions say an you can also go back an tighten a little after engine is heated ,an
no ,you don't want to over tighten to were the they snap or strip the screws!..😎

Sometimes the screws will work loose an cause leaks an sometimes the factory doesn't get them tight
enough ,I've gotten new engines with loose heads before.
Just do what the directions say an you can also go back an tighten a little after engine is heated ,an
no ,you don't want to over tighten to were the they snap or strip the screws!..😎
Hello there thanks for your help. Yes i can do head gaskets on motor vehicles because they have toque rench settings but with nitro engines its trail and error cos theres no toque setting. What is your verdict to the online statement about oiling the gasket is that just to help it stick to the head so it doesn’t fall off when installing it on the engine. Or does it help bond to the sleeve and head.?

Hello there thanks for your help. Yes i can do head gaskets on motor vehicles because they have toque rench settings but with nitro engines its trail and error cos theres no toque setting. What is your verdict to the online statement about oiling the gasket is that just to help it stick to the head so it doesn’t fall off when installing it on the engine. Or does it help bond to the sleeve and head.?

To be honest ,I don't know ,maybe to help hold in place because those gaskets & shims are real
tender an is easy to bend & damage!
The torque I would imagine ,is to snug them down an tighten them in sequence until they don't turn no
more ,sometimes you hear a click noise ,that will let you know that they are tight!..😎

To be honest ,I don't know ,maybe to help hold in place because those gaskets & shims are real
tender an is easy to bend & damage!
The torque I would imagine ,is to snug them down an tighten them in sequence until they don't turn no
more ,sometimes you hear a click noise ,that will let you know that they are tight!..😎
So i only have a Allen key to tighten them with i know the click you are on about. I have just had it off i cleaned the gasket and the other bits to make sure theres no contamination then i did oil the gasket only with clear caster oil to see if it will help it bond then i applyed a dab of caster on each bolt then tightened them equally but i diden hear the click so i am going to buy a T8 size torx screwdriver and see if they can be tightened a little tiny bit more. So thank you for your advice.👍🏻