Nitro engine or electric motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan81

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, having run a few nitro buggies and after having a number of issues with the engine and clutch etc. I have recently purchased a cheap electric 1/18 for the dog to chase around our local park. Well it's been abused like made, soaked wet etc etc. It also seems much quicker than nitro without tuning and starting troubles! So what's people thoughts as I'm considering shelling out a electric RC 1/8 scale?

I am a nitro guy, I love the sound, smell, and tinkering involved. I have never had an electric, but for ease of use, I can understand the appeal. I am sure that if you think electric is right for you, you are probably right for it. Just make sure you buy quality.

The real problem with 1/8th scale electrics for me is the up front cost for the batteries and a charger. For an 1/8th scale running 2x2s or 2x3s batteries it may be as much as much as 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of the vehicle to have 2 or 3 sets of batteries. If you by an E Revo brushless Or Arrma Kraton with a few sets of batteries and a good charger it will be as much as buying a Losi DBXL gas 1/5th scale.

I am a nitro guy, I love the sound, smell, and tinkering involved. I have never had an electric, but for ease of use, I can understand the appeal. I am sure that if you think electric is right for you, you are probably right for it. Just make sure you buy quality.

The sound of the engine is what I like too. I probably will get an electric, just to s

The sound of the engine is what I like too. I probably will get an electric, just to s
See the difference and how I feel, I've still got my nitro car but needs tlc at the mo.

The real problem with 1/8th scale electrics for me is the up front cost for the batteries and a charger. For an 1/8th scale running 2x2s or 2x3s batteries it may be as much as much as 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of the vehicle to have 2 or 3 sets of batteries. If you by an E Revo brushless Or Arrma Kraton with a few sets of batteries and a good charger it will be as much as buying a Losi DBXL gas 1/5th scale.
He was looking for a mini or 1/18 scale. I run a lot of minis/micros as well as crawlers and I will say that you will need a decent charger in addition to what ever electric rig that you choose. That being said, My favorite mini is my 1/16 Traxxas eRevo VXL. It's brushless and LiPo ready out of the box. Upgrades are readily available and parts are relatively easy to come by. For a pet exerciser like you were talking about a 2s LiPo is more than enough and there are no thermal issues. Going to 3s and you have to gear down a bit.

He was looking for a mini or 1/18 scale. I run a lot of minis/micros as well as crawlers and I will say that you will need a decent charger in addition to what ever electric rig that you choose. That being said, My favorite mini is my 1/16 Traxxas eRevo VXL. It's brushless and LiPo ready out of the box. Upgrades are readily available and parts are relatively easy to come by. For a pet exerciser like you were talking about a 2s LiPo is more than enough and there are no thermal issues. Going to 3s and you have to gear down a bit.

Read the OP

If that isn't a typo, you're looking for an 1/8 scale, not 1/18th scale?? Anyways... The cost for the 1/8 scale with quality components is sky high. If you're looking to bash, a 1/10 scale is Def cheaper but is still no gift. Of you are planning on doing any racing at a track, your options may be limited to one or the other simply by local track rules. Nitro is still my favorite. I have been into 1:1 performance for most of my life but due to finances and my physical issues, the realities of spending days under a hood, just not happening. The nitro fills the void ti some extent anyways.
All that said, I will likely be buying a 1/10 scale 4x4 electric to run at an indoor track locally at some point. I do have other projects and I am just not allowing myself to even start with racing until everything else is wrapped up. So for me, it's all about purpose and finance. Def post what you end up with!
Good luck!!!

Yeah, I just wanted to be clear that I was responding, talking about 1/8 scale stuff. Obviously smaller scale is less expensive to some extent.

I just got an electric for Christmas. Been running nitro for 15+ years. My wife got me a brushless 1/10 revo. Right out of the gate, I wasted $200 on the traxxas charger and 3s lipo's. She had bought it back in October along with the batteries/charger I asked her to get. Then after reading for the 2 months until Christmas, I found that running 4S makes for a more durable revo. 6S is fun, but eats up the driveline. I never even took the 3S packs out of their box.

Ended up with 9000mah 2S lipo's from SMC and a dynamite 4x100watt charger. The packs were $125 shipped for 2, I now have 4. The charger with adapters and charge boards was around $250. So, $500 to replace the $200 mistake.

If your going 1/8th, then do your research on what will get the job done for you and plan on getting a charger that can charge whatever packs you run at at least 1C. If you have to go in for a lot of $ right off the start like I did, since I was lacking anything electric related, do some reading to avoid high dollar mistakes like me. :)

I've bought a 1/10 with 3 batteries running 2s lipo's costing just over £300, obviously could have spent much more but testing it all out for now

If that isn't a typo, you're looking for an 1/8 scale, not 1/18th scale?? Anyways... The cost for the 1/8 scale with quality components is sky high. If you're looking to bash, a 1/10 scale is Def cheaper but is still no gift. Of you are planning on doing any racing at a track, your options may be limited to one or the other simply by local track rules. Nitro is still my favorite. I have been into 1:1 performance for most of my life but due to finances and my physical issues, the realities of spending days under a hood, just not happening. The nitro fills the void ti some extent anyways.
All that said, I will likely be buying a 1/10 scale 4x4 electric to run at an indoor track locally at some point. I do have other projects and I am just not allowing myself to even start with racing until everything else is wrapped up. So for me, it's all about purpose and finance. Def post what you end up with!
Good luck!!!
I like both electric and nitro, obviously the nitro sound! I don't want to get stuck up on a particular type to keep my interests fresh, thanks for the advice

Last edited:
I was in the same boat when I first got into this Rc a year ago and decided on Nitro. Although I am still learning and the folks here on this forum is great help, I've never looked back. I am very very happy to have made the right decision go Nitro as many here have mentioned the realiasm, smoke and tuning keeps my interest. If there are no challenge, just play and play i think I'll loose interest fast. It really depends on whether you like to tinker or not I guess and what you make of time dedicated to fixing and tuning. I am a father of 2 girl and boy (5 and 7) year old and I don't have any time at all but I still get to fire my 4-5 Nitros (Redcat and HPI) each week. Of course not all of them but try to rotate them out from time to time. I might get in 1-2 tanks per week if I am lucky but I find tuning very relaxing, almost like reloading ammo ;). I think it's worth getting into nitro.... oh yeah I live in HOA and everybody is curious about my hobby. I've tried not to run before 9am and after 6pm so not to piss off my neighbors. So far nobody has complained but I am sure not making any friends either but I figure who cares as long as I am enjoying myself. You only live once... can't live life wondering what other people think about you.

Also plus side of nitro is although AA batteries are required, you don't have to carry chargers and all the expensive setup get started.

To each his own. My son and I started running 10th scale electrics together. Now I run 1/8th- 1/10 scale nitro and he runs 1/8th scale electric. He has 2 cars lots of batteries and I have 7 cars and a gallon of fuel.

I was in the same boat when I first got into this Rc a year ago and decided on Nitro. Although I am still learning and the folks here on this forum is great help, I've never looked back. I am very very happy to have made the right decision go Nitro as many here have mentioned the realiasm, smoke and tuning keeps my interest. If there are no challenge, just play and play i think I'll loose interest fast. It really depends on whether you like to tinker or not I guess and what you make of time dedicated to fixing and tuning. I am a father of 2 girl and boy (5 and 7) year old and I don't have any time at all but I still get to fire my 4-5 Nitros (Redcat and HPI) each week. Of course not all of them but try to rotate them out from time to time. I might get in 1-2 tanks per week if I am lucky but I find tuning very relaxing, almost like reloading ammo ;). I think it's worth getting into nitro.... oh yeah I live in HOA and everybody is curious about my hobby. I've tried not to run before 9am and after 6pm so not to piss off my neighbors. So far nobody has complained but I am sure not making any friends either but I figure who cares as long as I am enjoying myself. You only live once... can't live life wondering what other people think about you.

Also plus side of nitro is although AA batteries are required, you don't have to carry chargers and all the expensive setup get started.
I use electric in more public places to dampen the noise lol the 1/8 .30 nitro I have is pretty noisy

Noise is always a factor with nitro unfortunately. Better if you have something quiet to run of you like your neighbors... If not, 'testing' your nitro in the living room, say RIGHT next to the heater vent is always a solid option.
Seriously? Dog barking for 15min at 2 am???!!! Yeah, the LOUDEST car is definitely in order!!!

Noise is always a factor with nitro unfortunately. Better if you have something quiet to run of you like your neighbors... If not, 'testing' your nitro in the living room, say RIGHT next to the heater vent is always a solid option.
Seriously? Dog barking for 15min at 2 am???!!! Yeah, the LOUDEST car is definitely in order!!!

I'm in the if not category!...
I get even with the neighbors that like to put their bass in my pillow!....:hehe:

Lol! Did you mean put the bass in the pillow, or their FACE in the pillow??? You know... Maybe with just the right amount of pressure...??? :hehe:

Of course, I am kidding about this and would NEVER suggest bodily harm... ESPECIALLY when you are quite capable of torturing them with a whole internet full of suggestions on the subject!!! :hehe::hehe::hehe::naughty::naughty::naughty:

Last edited:
It's always a big plus when the landlord LOVES me and doesn't like the nitwits upstairs to begin with! She's gonna bounce them soon anyways.