Nitro car not moving

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kazik2k

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I recently got a kyosho inferno mp7.5 from a friend that couldn't get it working and he got it from a friend. I've stripped it down and gave everything a nice clean and put it back together following the instructions.
Everything seems to work but when i accelerate the car barely rolls. Any idea what i could check? Thanks for the help

I recently got a kyosho inferno mp7.5 from a friend that couldn't get it working and he got it from a friend. I've stripped it down and gave everything a nice clean and put it back together following the instructions.
Everything seems to work but when i accelerate the car barely rolls. Any idea what i could check? Thanks for the help

When you accelerate, does the motor rev higher?

It sounds like your having clutch issues. Check your springs and if they are badly worn.

Thought this too but I replaced the clutch shoes when I took it apart

is the flywheel and center shaft spinning fast or do they spin slow? will the car still rev easily if you stop the car from moving?

It sounds like your having clutch issues. Check your springs and if they are badly worn.
Is that the spring that goes around the clutch shoes? It's brand new so I don't know why it would be that, unless it was a bad quality one cause when I got it off my friend it came with a replacement clutch in a sealed packet

You should be able to easily trace where the loss is. The engine runs, revs when throttle applied. Next check the clutch bell/spur gear condition and mesh.
If teeth are all good, mesh is good - pick up the car and turn the spur by hand, does it drive the wheels? Yes then your clutch is probably bad. If no, then it's either the trans or a diff issue.

If it has a transmission, it might be the pawls that are not flicking out at the high rpm (most likely seized). Get wd40 and spray into the pawls and flick them out with your fingers.

is the flywheel and center shaft spinning fast or do they spin slow? will the car still rev easily if you stop the car from moving?
I've just went and started it up again and it rolls by itself, the throttle changes engine rpm but not the speed of the car. When it's rolling its like a decent walking pace roll.

You should be able to easily trace where the loss is. The engine runs, revs when throttle applied. Next check the clutch bell/spur gear condition and mesh.
If teeth are all good, mesh is good - pick up the car and turn the spur by hand, does it drive the wheels? Yes then your clutch is probably bad. If no, then it's either the trans or a diff issue.
Really starting to think it may be the clutch, but the clutch was just replaced, what about the bell housing do they need replaced?

If it has a transmission, it might be the pawls that are not flicking out at the high rpm (most likely seized). Get wd40 and spray into the pawls and flick them out with your fingers.
Cheers mate but don't think mine has one, don't think so anyway I don't know

Unless you really smoke the clutch or run with it slipping for a long time you usually don't have to replace the clutch bell. Just scuff it up with sand paper or scotch brite. I don't know in my head how the clutch is made on that rc but on some it is possible to install the shoes springs wrong/backward.

Unless you really smoke the clutch or run with it slipping for a long time you usually don't have to replace the clutch bell. Just scuff it up with sand paper or scotch brite. I don't know in my head how the clutch is made on that rc but on some it is possible to install the shoes springs wrong/backward.
Got some 80 grit to it and still the problem persists. From what I seen the clutch looks fairly symmetrical so don't think it's installed wrong. As I said above to @AClegg it rolls pretty swiftly and when I add more throttle the engine spins up but this doesn't translate into the car rolling any quicker

Here is a video of the rc car I have to hold it as when I let go it starts rolling slowly, when the gear starts spinning faster that's me lifting the car off the ground, hope this helps.

Here is a video of the rc car I have to hold it as when I let go it starts rolling slowly, when the gear starts spinning faster that's me lifting the car off the ground, hope this helps.

I can't see if the center shaft is spinning. Is it?

First of all, your idle is WAY too high. It wants to roll because the centrifugal clutch shoes can't slow down enough to disengage. That will cause the clutch bell to get extremely hot real quick causing the shoes to glaze and slip. That's not your current issue, though.
There's a possibility that a pin in the drive train is missing or broken and it's not getting a solid connection to the wheels. Start at the output shaft of the trans and check every drive shaft connection in the line.

Make sure that the gear mesh is right with the clutch bell an center diff spur gear ,an also ,make sure that you
have installed the wheel pins!...:cool:

First of all, your idle is WAY too high. It wants to roll because the centrifugal clutch shoes can't slow down enough to disengage. That will cause the clutch bell to get extremely hot real quick causing the shoes to glaze and slip. That's not your current issue, though.
There's a possibility that a pin in the drive train is missing or broken and it's not getting a solid connection to the wheels. Start at the output shaft of the trans and check every drive shaft connection in the line.
I'm very new to all this so thanks for the advice, I found a manual with all the default settings for the idle speed and carb and set it up. Now it doesn't roll away from me and when I accelerate with the remote it's like i have to tap the throttle to get it rolling. Would you be able to help me with the pins you're on about as not quite sure what it may be?

Back