Nitro Car Idle Issues!

• Thread starter MrSkeedleWeedle
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right. I've just put the gasket on and it's helping alot. There's still something wrong. I've changed the idle gap to absolutely tiny and it's still moving slowly when the car is on the ground. I'm gonna do the washing up liquid test in a bit. For some reason I don't have any xD

Right. I've just put the gasket on and it's helping alot. There's still something wrong. I've changed the idle gap to absolutely tiny and it's still moving slowly when the car is on the ground. I'm gonna do the washing up liquid test in a bit. For some reason I don't have any xD
Sounds good. How tiny is tiny? It should only be 1-2MM.

Just about visible. So that's why I'm thinking an air leak
Have you tightened the carb body screw? It's the screw that holds the carb onto the crank case, also check that your fuel pipes are attached to the nipples correctly and that the fuel tank is shut well with a good seal.

Have you tightened the carb body screw? It's the screw that holds the carb onto the crank case, also check that your fuel pipes are attached to the nipples correctly and that the fuel tank is shut well with a good seal.
I was just looking at the carb screw that holds it on but I can't find an Allen key the tight size. I'll go and check them now. Thanks

never mind I re read the thread.

Made a quick video of my issue. I did the bubble thing and can't see anything

That is not what I was expecting to see. I think that is fairly normal. I would probably adjust the idle screw down a little and see what happens. I don't think it is too far off.

That is not what I was expecting to see. I think that is fairly normal. I would probably adjust the idle screw down a little and see what happens. I don't think it is too far off.
Yeah. The exhaust manifold has helped a lot. Still not perfect though. I might look into a temperature gun to see if it's running lean as it will get hot. Gonna check the screw for carb and the seal for the tank

Sure it doesn't want adjusting more. It's already a barely visible hole compared to the 1-2mm what it should be

I would adjust the idle screw more. Just a hair more should drop it down a bit. Usually air leaks give erratic results, especially when it's warmed up. Yours sounds really stable. Also, maybe richen the LSN a tick as well.

I would adjust the idle screw more. Just a hair more should drop it down a bit. Usually air leaks give erratic results, especially when it's warmed up. Yours sounds really stable. Also, maybe richen the LSN a tick as well.
OK. I'll try that. I'm just thinking that something else was wrong. I've never seen a car that needs a barely visible hole in the carb. I don't think it needs riching out too either. The pinch test already takes like 10 seconds. Thanks

Right, so I've taken the car out and it seems good all though running quite rich. Lots of smoke coming out of the exhaust. Engine seemed fine but still some issue with the exhaust. When i held my finger over the exhaust it doesn't cut out it just keeps running! xD, prob needs stuff tightening up.

Right, so I've taken the car out and it seems good all though running quite rich. Lots of smoke coming out of the exhaust. Engine seemed fine but still some issue with the exhaust. When i held my finger over the exhaust it doesn't cut out it just keeps running! xD, prob needs stuff tightening up.
It does take while to turn off with lugging the exhaust, but it shouldn't be excessive, so yes, some things probably need tightening :)

OK. I'll try that. I'm just thinking that something else was wrong. I've never seen a car that needs a barely visible hole in the carb. I don't think it needs riching out too either. The pinch test already takes like 10 seconds. Thanks
Follow the tuning guide, now you're ready :):
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/

Right, so I'm new to this forum and i was wondering if anyone will have knowledge on this issue or on my car. I have an ftx hooligan that i bought off somebody for pretty cheap and it looked near new. I started the car and the first thing i noticed is that the wheels were spinning when i pulled the starter. I searched this up and it turns out to be the clutch. I bought new shoes and fitted them today. That issue seems to be fixed. Now the issue is when i start the car the wheels are spinning out of control. Not like lean lsn fast but very fast, if i lift the car up its nearly flying off out of my hands. I've done the obvious things like checking the idle gap and also richening out the lsn. This is all happening without me touching anything! Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks, Will.
Are you sure it's not air leaks coming from anywhere on the engine? Tuning is ineffective when you have air leaks through the engine from pull starts or carby seals

Are you sure it's not air leaks coming from anywhere on the engine? Tuning is ineffective when you have air leaks through the engine from pull starts or carby seals
I think OP already solved the issue. Its been over 5 years. and OP won't be back again.

If they still didn't solve it, hopefully they can, or not. We will never know.

Oops, sorry, Signed up not long ago. Didn't notice the date