Nitro Car Idle Issues!

• Thread starter MrSkeedleWeedle
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSkeedleWeedle

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Right, so I'm new to this forum and i was wondering if anyone will have knowledge on this issue or on my car. I have an ftx hooligan that i bought off somebody for pretty cheap and it looked near new. I started the car and the first thing i noticed is that the wheels were spinning when i pulled the starter. I searched this up and it turns out to be the clutch. I bought new shoes and fitted them today. That issue seems to be fixed. Now the issue is when i start the car the wheels are spinning out of control. Not like lean lsn fast but very fast, if i lift the car up its nearly flying off out of my hands. I've done the obvious things like checking the idle gap and also richening out the lsn. This is all happening without me touching anything! Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks, Will.

Might sound like a dumb question, but have you verified you radio system is in good working order and the throttle servo is moving the proper direction, and throttle trim is set correctly before starting the car?

Might sound like a dumb question, but have you verified you radio system is in good working order and the throttle servo is moving the proper direction, and throttle trim is set correctly before starting the car?
Hi. Yeah it's defo all good

You sure the clutch shoes are in properly and not dragging on the clutch bell?
This is what I thought. I took it apart and cleaned it out and the bell spins freely and carries on spinning when I let go if you know what I mean

You sure the clutch shoes are in properly and not dragging on the clutch bell?
When I lift the car up it the engine just seems to go faster and faster. The rpm just gets higher and higher to quite a bit of throttle

What is your Idle Gap set at?
I don't think adjusting the LSN would help if the HSN is set to lean. How many turns on each?
Could be an air leak.

What is your Idle Gap set at?
I don't think adjusting the LSN would help if the HSN is set to lean. How many turns on each?
Could be an air leak.
No idea how many turns out theye are but I do know the idle gap is fine. I did just realised the exhaust manifold iso fallen apart. My first thought would be air leak and not enough fuel in engine because of pressure in fuel tank but when I pinch the fuel line it takes 5 seconds to cut out. Explain more on anew air leak please. Thanks

I think itso an air leak not a tuning issue. The rpm is high like a lean LSN but worse. I'll do the bubble check tomorrow
Do the bubble check, but that would most likely cause an inconsistent idle, not a raising one. Try taking off the air filter and letting it idle for a short time (as to avoid anything getting inside, do in a clean place, do not move the car) and see whether the gap fluctuates. If it does, see whether the throttle servo is fluctuating. Have you tried turning down the idle on the carburetor with the idle screw?

Last edited:
Do the bubbel check, but that would most likely cause an inconsistent idle, not a raising one. Try taking off the air filter and letting it idle for a short time (as to avoid anything getting inside, do in a clean place, do not move the car) and see whether the gap fluctuates. If it does, see whether the throttle servo is fluctuating. Have you tried turning down the idle on the carburetor with the idle screw?
Hi. I'll do it now and get back to you later. I thought if too much air is getting in it would cause the mixture to be lean and cause the wheels to spin though.

Hi. I'll do it now and get back to you later. I thought if too much air is getting in it would cause the mixture to be lean and cause the wheels to spin though.
That is true, yes, but a leaky fuel system usually causes erratic idle, not a steady increase.

That is true, yes, but a leaky fuel system usually causes erratic idle, not a steady increase.
OK. Back news. I realised last night that my gasket is 100% dead. Fallen to bits. I've ordered a new one that should come tomorrow. So obviously I can't test the car until then. Could this be anything to do with it?

OK. Back news. I realised last night that my gasket is 100% dead. Fallen to bits. I've ordered a new one that should come tomorrow. So obviously I can't test the car until then. Could this be anything to do with it?
If you're talking about the rubber one on the exhaust, then yes, that could be the issue. The exhaust is actually incredibly important on a nitro RC and should not be modified (although replacing parts is fine) the exhaust is used to build up pressure in the fuel system to force fuel into the engine, as Nitro RC's do not have fuel pumps.

If you're talking about the rubber one on the exhaust, then yes, that could be the issue. The exhaust is actually incredibly important on a nitro RC and should not be modified (although replacing parts is fine) the exhaust is used to build up pressure in the fuel system to force fuel into the engine, as Nitro RC's do not have fuel pumps.
Right. I would say this is good news then. I realise that's how the fuel worked so maybe if there isn't enough fuel going in because of the lack of back pressure it could be causing it to run lean. Let's just hope the gasket I ordered fits and comes tomorrow. Thanks again

Right. I would say this is good news then. I realise that's how the fuel worked so maybe if there isn't enough fuel going in because of the lack of back pressure it could be causing it to run lean. Let's just hope the gasket I ordered fits and comes tomorrow. Thanks again
How do the fuel lines and fuel tank seal look? Are they worn or split? Keep us posted :)

That's good, it's just if there are holes or leaks in any part, then it can cause more issues in fuel delivery.
Coold. Thanks. I'm just hoping that the gasket I ordered is gonna fit. The ones for my car were expensive so I ordered one that had the same measurements. Fingers crossed

Just to be sure, I know you said you checked the idle gap and it's good. When is it good? With the air filter off and your radio on, when you apply full brake, does the slide move at all in the carb throat? From idle position on the remote to full brake, the carb slide should not move as the servo and/or throttle return spring should be holding the carb slide against the idle screw.

Just because you have 1.5mm gap doesn't mean it's not too much for your engine. If the above is true, when you back out the idle needle, do the RPM's change at all?