Nitro Car Cleaning?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfxpete

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi All,

Just a question about cleaning my nitro.....

I am planning to use the following method to clean my nitro after use.

1. Remove electronics.
2. Cover air filter with tape.
3. Spray with water (all over car and engine) to remove dirt.
4. Hairdry for 10mins.
5. Remove tape from air filter and clean air filter in hot soapy water, then oil in a little WD-40.
6. Put after-run oil in part of engine that is exposed after removing glow plug, turn engine over a few times.
7. Give car + engine a light misting in WD-40 to absorb any left over water.
8. Replace electronics (they are waterproofed).
7. Clean, dry and replace body.

Can anybody spot anything wrong with this method of cleaning? Or infact suggest a faster way to clean the car thats as through?

I've seen people use a hose, pressure washer and even a dish washer. Over time, they usually end up going back to the manual labor method with denatured alcohol. If its working for you though, and you are not experiencing any problems, then go with it. But I myself, will not use water, ever, to clean any of my vehicles or planes. There is one exception, TIRES. Thats it. Even then I go fast and do not submerge them so as not to get the foams wet. That would create a tire balance issue.

I use the following:

1. Denatured Alcohol for a majority of the cleaning
2. WD-40 for a 'brush on' shine of the plastics
3. An air compresssor (120 psi) to clean out the big chunks
4. Carb cleaner to break up heavy grime on engine areas (never internal though)
5. Dish Soap for tire cleaning and sometimes the RPM parts
6. California Gold Clay Bar for the 'impossible' to remove gunk around the exhaust and on the pipe itself.

I sometimes use a lite bearring oil for cleaning as well. Wiping down the chassis and other banged up metal parts with a lite oil put my mind at ease for rust purposes.

Thats my 2 cents -hope it helps........

Cheers!

Thanks for the advice!

when i use deantured alchohol do i need to mix it with water?

Water = Bad. Thats the rule I use......

Originally posted by j0olz
when i use deantured alchohol do i need to mix it with water?

No, do not mix with water, use it straight

That water and all that seems to be a bit of over kill. I just airhose it good then I blast what i need to with some nitro blast cleaner than if a manual full cleaning is need once a month or so its disasemble how truck cleaning each part and relubing bearings and so forth water is bad on the metal as far as I am concerned and bearings hate water. X

Thanks again

Thanks again folks. I think I`ll adjust my cleaning and 'remove' the water element. I`m new to all things RC so the advice is always welcome.

BTW When I tell everyone (g/f, family) how much I paid for my RC car there jaw drops, funny thing is the same thing happens when they see it !!! Best investment I`ve made yet me thinks!!

Re: Thanks again

Originally posted by sfxpete
Thanks again folks. I think I`ll adjust my cleaning and 'remove' the water element. I`m new to all things RC so the advice is always welcome.

BTW When I tell everyone (g/f, family) how much I paid for my RC car there jaw drops, funny thing is the same thing happens when they see it !!! Best investment I`ve made yet me thinks!!
Wait till you are 6 months into this hobby .. Then you tell them how much the car cost there mouth drops ... Then you tell them howmuch you have invested in it since you got it with all the hop ups and how its 3x'x more expenxsive upgrdaded then they lose bowl control ...X

just make sure you dont have any grease when using a compressor because greese and compressed air dont mix and it blows up! i had a friend that has burns scars on his face because he was cleaning a old dirt bike with a compressor and it blew up.

Compressed air and grease not mixing...perhaps he used some compressed Oxygen. Oxygen in its purest or near purest form and petroleum products is highly explosive.

Back