Nitro 4tec THE FINAL WORD!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitromaniac

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
:wban: If you are planning on buying this car please read this first, if you own this car please reply and tell me what you did with it! I just got back from bashing my 1 month old 4tec for the last time, I have never had a decent running day with this car , I am kicking myself in the butt daily for not buying a tc3, which is what I am gonna do tomorrow,YES! I did break the engine in to the T! I am not new to tuning engines, The 2.5 so called racing engine has got to be the most ridicoulous tuning nightmare that has ever been invented, no matter what your settings! A little lean and it runs great for a short time then cuts out during acceleration, richen it up a little and it runs like a sloth, and thats if it will keep running at all! ok, mabye I did get a bad engine but from what I have read about them I dont think so, I have heard alot of tuning probs with this engine.SO! If you are interested in buying a 4tec I can only recomend you do alot of reading first, I wish I did! My suggestion would be run like @#%$! And then run like @#%$ to your LHS and get a decent car, like a tc3,ld3,hpi,ofna,cen,mugen,schumacker,anything!
I should have know this car was a toy when I saw the survo tray wrapped in a childrens balloon, geeee!! for the price of one of these things you would think they would have designed a servo box with a clip lock like the big boys do! I guess all that smart designing went into the 2.5 engine NOT!
THE END! Traxxas nitro 4tec RTR (Ready to Rubbish)

Last edited:
Posting this in one forum is plenty. I moved the other. Please do not spam.

Sorry to hear you are having such a bad experience with an R.C. of any kind. Traxxas would probably replace your mill for free if you call them.

I will back you 100% on buying an NTC3 though. I wont look back!

I think the next will be a schumacher. CEN put out a nice looking 3 speed big block too!

And with a 3 speed you shouldnt need a runway ;)

Amen bro. I got one with the Pro .15 in it. The engine runs a little hot, but it runs the whole tank. The problem I have with that POS car is the handling. IT SUCKS. WOT is ok, a little pull to the right, but I can comp for it. But let off just a little, and it just looses it. Forget about cornering, forget about braking, just WOT right into the friggin curb. Sometimes, it just spins out whenever it feels like it. Hell, my Micro RS4 handles alot better than a 4Tec.

As to where it is now, in my basement, in pieces. I've robbed bearings, servos, the Rx, and the rubber header pipe. The header went on my Savage as an air filter elbow for the motor saver filter. I might part this POS out on eBay or something.

But you are right, it's a Piece Of poop, get something better if you want a touring car, I should have.

:sniper: I really hope my messege was helpfull to any one who read it, I posted the same messege at another site and was banned from posting there! can't beleve it! What ever happend to freedom of speech!

I found the 2.5 to be quite powerful and predictable. I ran much cooler after I got a better head but even with the stock head it ran 270 which is normal for that engine. I never met a high performance engine that wasn't finicky upon break in but I have only owned 4 reall high performance engines. They all had their "fun times"

My roommate is having problems with his 2.5 also. It seems he can never get it tuned correctly. At times it seems a little too rich so you lean it out and then it runs fine a for a few laps then it seems too lean and you richen it up and it does the same thing again and again.

Hmm I don't wanna alk about the troubls I have but no matter what I try my 2.5 will die after letting off of the throttle at half tank or lower unless I run stock settings any leaner dies richer dies etc...

Re - Nitro4tec

Nitromaniac : You would be shocked at how many 2.5 traxxas products are returned to the shop where I work because the pos motor will not keep a tune. It seems like you have a 50/50 chance of getting a motor that runs and 50/50 chance of getting a motor that does not run.

Last edited:
Thanks nitrohead! but those odds suck! but I hear ya! everytime I take that car out I have a 50/50 chance its actually gonna run and a 50/50 chance I am gonna get irritated and ram it into a wall WOT!!!

I did notice that the carb low idle needle just turns in there, I may just be nice to it and get a new carb, do I have to replace this carb with a stock carb or has any one ever tried anything different for this mill?

I think you should contact traxxas if it is a new 2.5 motor it should still be under warranty! I don't think I would invest anymore money in it , sell it use the money you make off it to buy that nitrotc3,fusion or cen car

Lol, CEN, they got those at Slumgates....

slumgates???

slang, for one of the "lhs" here. Everytime I go there, they have shelves of everything except what I need, and noone that works there knows anything about the stuff they sell. And forget about ordering anything, oh yeah, and everything is marked up at least 10% over MSRP. There was another thread on here a few weeks back that covered this one, as well as some of the other franchise places.

true that! The LHS I have to deal with is axcatlly the same, I went in for a simple glo plug for my for my 4tec, the guy picks up this empty little box and says sorry, their backordered, but right next to that empty little box was a box full of mcoy #8s, the plug of choice for me, the bone head didnt even say , here these are better, Funny he knew everything when it came to selling me the car, he was full of answers then! So now I drive 45 minutes to Tampa to a hobbytown usa store, theres a guy there I deal with who knows his poop!, there stock is marked up as well but at least I get decent service now, better than dealin with a bunch of ass scratchers!lol Cya!

Don't cry over spilled milk - Just call Traxxas. They are aware, obviously of the problem. I have no issues with my 4-tec. I don't think it's luck either. Check out the Traxxas forum on their website. Plenty of more than happy customers there. You just hear more about the bad than the good.

the 2.5 that i have in my maxx runs spectacular, when its in tune. however i find that it is very finiky with settings and you have to constantly adjust. i also have probs with it cutting out when its over 85* outside and I'm running fairly rich. it will suddenly start running very sluggishly and then die and will not restart for about 10 mins while the crappy heatsink attemps to disipate all the heat. i have hade Nitro cars for 5 years and never had as many tuning woes as i have had with the 2.5

My uncle used to have a 4-Tec.

My uncle used to have a 4-Tec with a .15, and it never had any troubles.I think that the new 2.5 engine is to hard to tune.I would try getting a different engine if you choose to keep yours.The only problem he had was when he took the back of a nitro rustlers tires off, and put them on his car.It drove well off-road with those tires on, but he stripped the gears.It kinda looked like a dragster.(Sounded like one to)

to lumburg54 I never cry over spilled milk! I am glad you dont have these issues with your 4tec, I dont know how old yours is but mine is not even a month yet! I like to go out and run a few tanks through my touring cars without having to retune it every five minutes, I have never been able to do this with this car, its going back to traxxas alright! I have a tc3 now thats a week old and have been out with it about 4 times, after I broke it in I have never touched it and it runs all day! Belive me! you can feel the difference in quality right away the 4tec is a nice car and very fast, a good car to learn with but a tuning nightmare! I am much happier with my tc3 and I am sure anyone else would say the same thing! good luck with yours!

My LHS doesn't even carry Traxxas anymore except T-Maxx.

Originally posted by error401
slang, for one of the "lhs" here. Everytime I go there, they have shelves of everything except what I need, and noone that works there knows anything about the stuff they sell. And forget about ordering anything, oh yeah, and everything is marked up at least 10% over MSRP. There was another thread on here a few weeks back that covered this one, as well as some of the other franchise places.

Man you pushed one of my pet peeve buttons! I despise hobby shops. I don't buy anything from hobby shops unless there is absolutely no other choice. I don't even buy paint from them.

I used to be one of these guys that would "support my LHS" thinking I was doing a good thing for the hobby. When that strategy damned near put me in the poor house I wised up. All four of my LHSs are certified rip off artists. Theres one here in Manhattan were I work where the help acts like your patronage is a big inconvenience to them.

I now buy all my RC stuff online and I get all my odds and ends at Home Depot. There are also lots of websites that sell every kind of screw and bolt imaginable SUPER CHEAP.

I'm done,

EB