Night boating, interesting experience

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankC

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
Has anyone (no doubt you have) tried running your boat at night? I did for the first time this past Saturday. I must say it was interesting! My one and only boat, cheap ft011. I had painted the outer hatch a bright iridescent yellow, and mounted 4 white flashing led lights around the sides and 2 in the front. I found out a few things! You can’t tell where the shoreline is on the small lake I use (cause it’s dark,duh) Can’t see random ducks in the water. The flashing lights are probably worse than having solid lights on all the time, and am thinking having red led’s on one side of the boat and green on the other. White lights in the front. Found it surprisingly hard to orient the boats’ direction of travel when turning! Plus if the boat has a failure, no rescue mission. Anyway, it was a good learning experience for me. I like to run it at dusk because the lights look kool. Saturday the sun went down faster than expected!

I have run in evening before dusk. Once it gets darker, I brought the boats in. Running in dark is way too risky - like you said, you cannot see things. There could be may things to hit in the water - floating debris, ducks, shore, people - none of that will turn our well for you.

Sounds pretty tricky to me, dusk sounds good, dark not so much. Dawn might be a better choice, then it gets lighter if you go into overtime. ;)
That’s a good idea (just before daybreak)

Has anyone (no doubt you have) tried running your boat at night? I did for the first time this past Saturday. I must say it was interesting! My one and only boat, cheap ft011. I had painted the outer hatch a bright iridescent yellow, and mounted 4 white flashing led lights around the sides and 2 in the front. I found out a few things! You can’t tell where the shoreline is on the small lake I use (cause it’s dark,duh) Can’t see random ducks in the water. The flashing lights are probably worse than having solid lights on all the time, and am thinking having red led’s on one side of the boat and green on the other. White lights in the front. Found it surprisingly hard to orient the boats’ direction of travel when turning! Plus if the boat has a failure, no rescue mission. Anyway, it was a good learning experience for me. I like to run it at dusk because the lights look kool. Saturday the sun went down faster than expected!

Put a white at the bow and stern with the reds on the left and greens on the right if you want to do it "correctly". Should make it quite a bit easier to see.

That way the whites give you an idea of angle and the color shows you which direction it's headed.

Put a white at the bow and stern with the reds on the left and greens on the right if you want to do it "correctly". Should make it quite a bit easier to see.

That way the whites give you an idea of angle and the color shows you which direction it's headed.
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Was going to be my suggestion also.

Back