Newby - Drivetrain

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferrytrip1

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, friend gave me nitro 4wd. Got it started on a block and sounds good. However the wheels are always engaged. The throttle appears to respond correctly to the remote commands both in normal and reverse, throttle trim responds too.

I have not put it on the ground yet as I assume it will fly off an d I will not be able to stop it. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Simon

Many rigs will spin the tires a little bit at idle with the wheels off the ground as the clutch shoes might be dragging a bit. Could be your idle is a bit high or your clutch springs are weak or busted causing the shoes to drag at an incorrect rpm. Also, many rigs idle a bit high until they warm up.

Do you know the make/model of the truck? If not, post up some photo's, then we can help with more specific info if needed.

thanks for the reply - answers like yours and google helped an awful lot. Idle was high so I learnt how to adjust it - also the brake disc was shot - complete circle on the inside - so it would not hold the xmsn when engaged.

I removed the engine and xmsn - replaced the brake disc - learnt how to set up the throttle linkage by trial and error and followed the many youtube videos.

I did buy some new glow plugs but it would not start - put the old one back in - vrooom - first pull

Now for some fun.

Thanks again, Simon

Glad to see you got it fixed up Simon. Been following to learn more about your issue, but has been a minute since I’ve worked on nitros. I’m a hands on fixer, I’ve got to be able to study it and take things apart and know how they go together. That’s the best way to learn, but sometimes makes helpjng others online difficult. There’s certainly a wealth of knowledge in the search function here, as well as google glad it was able to assist in resolution. When you have issues, a video or pics help us pinpoint the issue faster for future reference. In the end, these are simple machines at the core you’ve just got to gain some experience along the way.

Looking forward to hearing how the drive goes when you get it out. Good luck bud!