Newbie who needs info

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bomberns127

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, I am in the process of building a balsa wood and tissue glider, I will be looking to actually fly this, will need advice on the lightest servos, I know there is youtube but I prefer direct info from people with experience, hope along the way, my son has given me a 2.4ghz transmitter/receiver, will need info on batteries to use etc, apologies now if some of the questions I ask along the way might seem daft, I have never setup any rc equipment, I have built a few balsa gliders in the past, but this one is a biggie and I'm gonna keep this one

20230320_082529.jpg

Welcome to the RCT!! Someone who knows about that stuff should be able to help you out here.

Does the plane kit give you any details as to servo specs? What kit is it? Maybe we can look at the manual (if it's online somewhere).

What radio system do you have?

You will get to a point where you need to set your endpoints in your radio for your servos, unless the linkage rods you use have built-in spring joints in them. You will need the manual for your transmitter to figure how to set the endpoints. Most manuals can be found online with a quick Google search.

Hi welcome to rct.
The faster you fly and the bigger the plane, the bigger more powerful servo u will need (generally used in 3d / sport flying). Obviously you’re not doing that cause its a glider, so i would go with a 17 gram servo or a standard size servo. (considering how big the plane is).
I haven’t ever built a glider so I’m not sure if 17 grams will be sufficient or a standard size one will. But i think a standard size servo is your best bet for the rudder and elevator.

As for the transmitter pics would help on finding out what batteries go with it

looking forward to your maiden goes on your maiden
By the way what glider is this. I am looking to purchase one in the future and would like to know the model your building.
thanks
If you have any other questions let us know

Hi all, I am in the process of building a balsa wood and tissue glider, I will be looking to actually fly this, will need advice on the lightest servos, I know there is youtube but I prefer direct info from people with experience, hope along the way, my son has given me a 2.4ghz transmitter/receiver, will need info on batteries to use etc, apologies now if some of the questions I ask along the way might seem daft, I have never setup any rc equipment, I have built a few balsa gliders in the past, but this one is a biggie and I'm gonna keep this one

View attachment 162116

Where are you located? There may a flying club near you.

Back