Newbie wanting to run Savage in the desert (UAE)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aileron

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi Guys ,

I'm new to this forum and new to this hobby. I currently live and work in the United Arab Emirates and, I am looking at buying either a Savage x4.6 (preferred choice) or the Flux HP, But English not being this country's first language I am having a difficult time at the local hobby shops getting advice.

If I decide to get a savage I would be using it primarily for bashing in the sand dunes as it is on my door step. I would like to know from the experienced members in the forum what type of modifications (homegrown or aftermarket) will be required (if any) to make the savage more reliable in the Sand. And also how the high ambient temperature we experience here (+-40 degrees Celsius or 100 degrees Fahrenheit.) will affect both the x4.6 and flux HP in tuning and cooling?

Looking forward to your replies,

Aileron

Welcome to RCNT. Are you in the military?
We've had a few members stationed in your area so wait for them to fill you in on the details. I believe getting fuel was the biggest problem.

Welcome to RCNT. Are you in the military?
We've had a few members stationed in your area so wait for them to fill you in on the details. I believe getting fuel was the biggest problem.

he did mention tho that he was having trouble getting advise from the local hobby shop bc English isnt the primary language so I'm going to figure he can prob get fuel there at least i hope so lol

---------- Post added at 4:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:46 PM ----------

But imo if your going to be running it strickly sand i would get some new tires and thats about it. sand paddle tires or maybe some badlands something with some good tread on them

Either one will be fine out of the box. The flux HP is waaaaaay faster though. If you are going to run strictly in sand I and that kind of heat I would recommend gearing way down meaning less top speed. Paddle tires would be fun but not a must. The flux is built as heavy duty as it can be right out of the box the x 4.6 is not

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for the Replies. No I am not in the military but I am working as a civilian on military contracts. Getting Nitro wil not be a big problem as at is Stocked in the two local Hobby shops. How many teeth would you recommend I drop?

Aileron

I look into that, thank you. I'll also get a Infa red temp gun to keep a close eye on my operating temperatures if ill be running it in the summer.

Spektrum DX3s

Hi,

One of the reasons I upgraded my Tx to DX3s was for the onboard telemetry.
It's complete with the receiver and sensors to set everything up, even an RPM sensor.
Which was difficult at first to calibrate.

I've admittedly found the temperature reading on the Tx, and my infra-red temp gauge to be somewhat different!? But at least you can set the alarm to ring on the Tx at your desired heat range.

Chas

Last edited:
Thanks ChasCS, what Brand is the DX3s? As I have been looking at the threetree systems and they are admittedly expensive for me at this time (well not me... The wife... Ha ha).

Aileron.

Thank you. I had a look at the spektrum radios, looks like a good future investment.

Aeleron, Hi budy, I am also working here in UAE and I had also Savage X and if you want we had a local RC club here in UAE and we always get together every friday. You can visit also the website "dirt dxb". Try to check also speed Hobbies at sharjah where the Race track and strore located.

---------- Post added at 9:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:28 AM ----------

And by the way, you can go to Speed Hobbies cause the mechanic and the one encharged in the store is a Filipino, can speak english very well. Am a Filipino also.

Hi avelciatio,

Thank you. I live in Al Ain, so Sharjah is a bit far, but if I am in Dubai ill look it up and go visit the shop,and track.

Thanks ChasCS, what Brand is the DX3s? As I have been looking at the threetree systems and they are admittedly expensive for me at this time (well not me... The wife... Ha ha).

Aileron.

Hi,
Yes, All three of my radios are Spektrum.
I know there are better or more expensive Tx out there, but these are more than adequate for my present needs.

And I've found their customer service to be pretty good, so far, as well.

Chas

Havent read thru all the replys, But I would recomend getting a Baja. I believe there is still an RC shop in the the mall of Emirates but didt see too much nitro fuel in there so itll be easier to use petrol.

Hi guys,

Once again thanks for the replies. I also do think the Baja is the best way to go. Less tuning hassles and Gasoline is very cheap this side. It's not outside of "my" budget but the Missus thinks it is... :p . I will do some convincing. And compared to the savage, part availability here is much beter with the Baja. It seems like the shops here make a living just selling Baja's.

I just wish there was more info Availible on the Hpi Savage Xl Octane...