Newbie to RC. Looking at the Losi 5ive-T 2.0

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gachar001

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a newbie just getting into the hobby. I initially started looking at the Traxxas Revo 3.3 but then when I saw videos of the gasoline RCs, I was hooked on to them. I am now looking at the Losi 5ive-T 2.0. I am still undecided whether to go with the nitro or gasoline but am researching both.

Since the Losi does not come with the transmitter etc., I plan to buy whatever is recommended in the manual. These are what I am planning to buy:

• Spektrum DX5R DSMR transmitter SR6000T (SPM5000)
  • Passport P1 Mini 60W AC battery charger
  • Dynamite 9004 EC EC3 Reaction 7.4V 5000mAh 2S 20C LiPo battery

Will these be sufficient to run the vehicle (other than fuel and oil) or would I need anything else? Is the transmitter an overkill for a newbie? I would like to have a suitable transmitter with telemetry, so are there others that are reliable with not too much complex functionality that may be cheaper to buy but serve my purpose?

I live in India and would like to buy whatever spares I would need in the short term as nothing is available in India and I would need to keep a stock of things that break often. I don't intend to race or do any major off roading but being new I may break something due to inexperience. So some advice on this would be greatly appreciated. In online forums, there are mentions that gasoline powered RC are more reliable and need less maintenance and spares. This is one of the reasons I am looking at gasoline.

As of now, I plan to buy the following spares:

• Losi 6480 5mm flat and cap head screw assortment (24)
  • LOSB5023 - Losi Air cleaner foam element (5iveT)
  • TRA5263 - Traxxas air filter oil
  • FLMLF high performance spark plugs (2pc CMR7H) - Are there any better brands like NGK you can suggest? If so, what model number?

What other spares do you recommend? I am not able to find much information about this in the forums I have searched.

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

For the Fuel/oil mixture I'd recommend Klotz (This was highly recommended for me when I bought my Baja 5B years ago). For the air filter foam, I'd recommend PJ1 foam oil. It's an aerosol and is stickier and is better in this application than the Traxxas product IMO.

This where I get my spares and replacement parts: http://www.davesmotors.com/

Back