Newbie T-maxx questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambarnett

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello everyone, I just bought a used T-maxx and have a few questions.

I believe I have the "old" T-maxx (came with the .15 engine). The engine I currently have in it is the Megatech Pro .16 (M-16) engine. I have the original Traxxas .15 that is hydrolocked (I was told I could mail this to Traxxas and they will mail be back a 2.5 for $100.

Here are my questions:

1. I looked online and noticed that the Megatech Pro .16 engine is discontinued. Is this soon going to be hard to find parts for? (I've been struggling to find a replacement one-way bearing for it that I need).

2. What would I need to do to upgrade it to make it like the 2.5 T-maxx you can buy? Is it just an engine upgrade or is there a kit?

3. Is there a good website for answers to these simple questions or should I just post to this forum?

Sorry for the basic newbie questions.

Sam

This forum is all you will need. Many folks here have a lot of experience with the Maxx.

The Megatech engine is discontinued for good reason, they are unpredictable and difficult to tune. The one way bearing should be the same as the stock .25 and available from any local Hobby Store (LHS). If I'm wrong about this someone will let us know.

There are differences in the new and old Maxx other than the engine however you will be able to get a 2.5 and a new exhaust pipe and header and drop it in. The 2.5 upgrade is a good deal if you want to stick with the stock engine.

Welcome to RCNT!

-Ed

I don't know exactly what all the differences are between the old and the new maxx.

I do know that the suspension arms are longer. You can buy the new 2.5 tmaxx A-arms, and turnbuckles. They will fit right onto the older maxx. If you do a-arms you must have the turnbuckles.

The A-arms make it a bit wider, which makes it handle like a dream, no more tipping in corners at low speed.

The 2.5 engine is still the same displacment .15 it's just a stronger engine with more power.

My advice on the motor. If it has enough power for you, run the heck out of it until it dies. Knowing that you will replace it soon. When you go to replace it, there are a lot of .18's and even a .21 that will drop right in. Anything bigger than that and you will need a big block conversion kit (longer chassis).

Perhaps somone else can elighten us both on the other diferences.

I was told that the 2.5 engine was a .21 displacement. Is that incorrect?

We looked at a Pro .15 one-way bearing at the store and it didn't look anything like the one in the Megatech .16 engine. Would the one way bearing from the 2.5 engine work if the .15 doesn't?

Sam

The 2.5 is a .15 engine
2.5 CC compared to .15 CI is the same size.

Someone else will have to answer you One way on the Megatech question.

Just hang in there and someone will have the proper answer for you.

Nope. The 2.5 is a .15 engine.

It's 2.5 cubic cm vs .15 cubic inches, both are the same displacement.
ci = cm
.15 = 2.5
.16 = 2.6
.18 = 3.0
.21 = 3.44
.247 = 4.0
.26 = 4.2

Is the chassis the same on the "old" T-maxx as the 2.5 T-maxx? Someone at the LHS told me that the 2.5 chassis is longer and that I would need a "conversion" kit to make my truck fit the 2.5 engine. This doesn't make sense to me now that I know the 2.5cc engine is actually .15ci. Therefore smaller than my .16ci M-16 Megatech engine.

It would make sense to me that the "new" T-maxx 2.5 has wider A-arms (aka WIDEMAXX). But besides that and and the 2.5 engine, anyone else know the difference?

Also what is the difference between the original T-maxx engine (Pro .15) and the 2.5. Isn't the 2.5 ALSO a .15???

It's designed different. More for higher rpms and hp than the older engine. And as I said above, yes, the 2.5 is a .15. It also has a different type of crankshaft.

I believe you or the person giving you information is confused.

The 2.5 will fit the stock T-Maxx, any stock Maxx, new or old.

A .21 (Not a 2.5) will require modifications including in most cases a new chassis.

How does my Megatech M-16 Pro .16 engine compare in performance to the Traxxas Pro .15 and 2.5 engines?

i did the .15 to 2.5 coversion all youhave to do is get the conversion kit from rc boyz.com drill a few holes to convert from roto carb to slide carb.and they give you a template to do this conversion................peace(the 2.5 will drop right in)

Good point zandor22.
To use the 2.5 or any slide carb in the original Maxx the linkage need to be modified.

The M16 produces decent power when the are up and going. The only issue is getting it up and going. In the past they have been unreliable at best. If you have one installed by all means use it however if it frustrates you don't think that all nitro engines are the same.

The new chassis is a hair thicker than the old, but it has the same footprint (it is not longer). You do not need a conversion kit, but one is helpful (as mentioned the new engine is a slide carb versus the rotary carb and requires some different linkage).

The new a-arms are wider by 1/2 on a side.

The engine (already discussed) is a .15 ported race engine. It will give better performance than your M16, almost 100% guaranteed.

Other changes include the new pipe that comes stock with the 2.5. Waste of plastic in my opinion.

The rest is pretty much the same between the new and the old version of T-Maxx.

hey go to your LHS and pick up the rc monster trucks mag. summer 2003. i just got it last week. They still should have it. In it they tell you how to turn your older max into the newer t-maxx. it also has some intersting stuff you might want to look at.

http://rccaraction.com/index.asp

cheeck my gallary for a photo of the cover.