Newbie Questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodgamer

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ok so I was looking at motors and they say buggy engine truggy engine. But people have a buggy engine in a off-road monster truck. What does that mean when they say buggy engine or truggy engine?

Buggy engines tend to turn more RPMs and truggy motors have more torque and turn less RPMs.

OK so if I were to but a buggy engine in a truggy it's not like it will destroy something.

No, but the truggy won't be able to accelerate as fast. This is probably okay if you're not racing.

The facts of it have been told pretty well. It's pretty much up to what you want. Do you wanna bash and have more sudden power to rip the wheels to shreds if ya choose, or do you want a higher top end performance more applicable for racing or high speed runs. I personnaly suggest an OS engine myself, although I'm.running a trx 3.3. And don't forget u can change ur performance greatly with your gearing ratio as well so that somethin.to think about. So all in all its up to what you want out of your rc to make that decision.

A .21 would be the max size you would want in a buggy. As far as truggy engines go... there is no need for a "truggy" engine because a .21 will do just fine. In fact many serious racers prefer a .21 because of run time. And by no means are they under powered. I race a .25 Nova engine and its just ridiculous powerful, I actually have to choke it down with a small venture so that I don't overpower the track and so I get a good runtime. Of course this hurts me in the straits and give advantage to a smaller engine.

The facts of it have been told pretty well. It's pretty much up to what you want. Do you wanna bash and have more sudden power to rip the wheels to shreds if ya choose, or do you want a higher top end performance more applicable for racing or high speed runs. I personnaly suggest an OS engine myself, although I'm.running a trx 3.3. And don't forget u can change ur performance greatly with your gearing ratio as well so that somethin.to think about. So all in all its up to what you want out of your rc to make that decision.

What is a OS engine? Ha... Sorry for asking but like the thread says newbie questions.

A .21 would be the max size you would want in a buggy. As far as truggy engines go... there is no need for a "truggy" engine because a .21 will do just fine. In fact many serious racers prefer a .21 because of run time. And by no means are they under powered. I race a .25 Nova engine and its just ridiculous powerful, I actually have to choke it down with a small venture so that I don't overpower the track and so I get a good runtime. Of course this hurts me in the straits and give advantage to a smaller engine.

I have a STS D.21B in my XTM Terminator but I havent ran it because I cannot figure out the clutch shoes.

And thank you to all who replys.

But there's so many choices in a 21 nitro engine, just check their engine spec especially the bore and stroke, long stroker engine has more on torque( low end power) while the short stroke engine has more on rpm top end. plus the tuning pipe can help more on what type of speed range you want. cause i am using Axe rossi mamba in my truggy and it runs well in our tight race track.

O.S. is a maker of nitro engines. In my thoughts they make some decent products. Some better priced than others, but I haven't heard many complaints on em. As long as u don't get a cheaply knock off motor, with proper break in and maintenance you will be more than likely happy. Not saying all problems are caused by poor care, but a lot of premature wear can be avoided by simply taking care of it and regular maintenance. Ie,:not letting it sit with gas half a tank of gas in it for days rather than draining it n usin a lil after run oil. Lol. I learned that the hard way n the poop seized up.

O.S. is a maker of nitro engines. In my thoughts they make some decent products. Some better priced than others, but I haven't heard many complaints on em. As long as u don't get a cheaply knock off motor, with proper break in and maintenance you will be more than likely happy. Not saying all problems are caused by poor care, but a lot of premature wear can be avoided by simply taking care of it and regular maintenance. Ie,:not letting it sit with gas half a tank of gas in it for days rather than draining it n usin a lil after run oil. Lol. I learned that the hard way n the poop seized up.

Haha ok thanks and the after run oil you can buy at a hobby shop or do you make it yourself?

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

But there's so many choices in a 21 nitro engine, just check their engine spec especially the bore and stroke, long stroker engine has more on torque( low end power) while the short stroke engine has more on rpm top end. plus the tuning pipe can help more on what type of speed range you want. cause i am using Axe rossi mamba in my truggy and it runs well in our tight race track.

I'm not looking for a new engine or anything I was just wondering what that meant when the the company or whoever said that. I do not know the specs of my buggy engine I mentioned above. The guy who had it before me put a different piston in it?? But I will keep that in mind. Thank you.

You can find it at ur lhs. If I were you i would go and pick up a bottle of after-run oil and a bottle of air filter oil. And if u are going to get a new engine I would pick up a few glowplugs as well. That's pry the more important things. A few items that are nice to have as well though is a temp gun, nitro cleaner (denatured alcohal works too), and if u have an ez start system; I'd pick up a glow plug ignitor. I still prefer those over the ez starts ignitor.

---------- Post added at 7:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:41 AM ----------

The piston wasput in more than likely because it was worn out. Do you know if the sleeve was replaced as well?

You can find it at ur lhs. If I were you i would go and pick up a bottle of after-run oil and a bottle of air filter oil. And if u are going to get a new engine I would pick up a few glowplugs as well. That's pry the more important things. A few items that are nice to have as well though is a temp gun, nitro cleaner (denatured alcohal works too), and if u have an ez start system; I'd pick up a glow plug ignitor. I still prefer those over the ez starts ignitor.

---------- Post added at 7:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:41 AM ----------

The piston wasput in more than likely because it was worn out. Do you know if the sleeve was replaced as well?

I have a bottle of air filter oil, lots of glowplugs, a temperature gun, I make my own cleaner (alcohol little bit of water and good grease fighting dish soap that's what has worked for me) and five igninters of all kinds.

I am 95% percent sure it was.