Newbie needs help nitro car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billyboyx

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi

I have boggt a nitro car it is a hpi rs4rt4 3 with a 18 3.0 engine. It wasn't starting as i flooded it so i removed glow plug and emptied fuel, now it starts but on idles revs a lot i have to hold brake to keep it in place or else it will just fly away.

Also i ran it for 2 min and it used a noticeable amount of fuel, on the floor there was quite a bit of fuel aswell like its constantly throwing fuel. So where do i start,?

Here a pic of it
7CFEFF70-C613-47E1-987C-65CB45FB5AC9_zpsxkvn0sj1.png

Thanks

It sounds like the idle adjustment may be off. You need to remove the air filter and check the gap with the radio on and the trim set to it's lowest point on the throttle. Check to see that the idle gap is about 1mm (the thickness of a credit card).

Hi

The trim is on the lowest point. I dont know how to set idle or anything as its my first car but i have got you the following pictures with airfilter off
955AD0E6-FD9C-41E5-BD32-51C4022E2E55_zps5sbmowtf.jpg

Heres with radio on trim wound all way down

70531D93-DC83-4ACF-ACC6-E45FF7F03CD9_zpshtrumkyu.jpg

Heres with holding brake on remote

76E3E68B-EE74-4D53-82FB-454A669C347B_zpspr2mj6f5.jpg

Have you checked the trim on your remote like stated above? It sounds like the trim is too high
And its normal for these motors to spit oil out the exaust

Yes the trim is all the way low as it goes,

Well its oil and fuel aswell as the tank got emptied in 2 mins

It looks like the linkage needs to be adjusted a bit. The gap should look like it does with the brakes on even at idle.

Remove the servo horn and then center your trim, after that put the servo horn back on. Put it back on so that your carb is at idle, you should have about a 1mm opening at idle and it shouldn't get any smaller when braking. If it's a little off, you can make small adjustments with your trim or idle set screw as needed.

I'm lost as I'm new with all this :(

Back