Newbie need buggy suggestion.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanstl

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi, I have a Duratrax Nitro Evader BX now and also an Evader ST electric. I love my nitro buggy although I do break it every time I go out. I don't think this is so much the cars problem as it is my driving crazy problem:eek:pps: Now I'm thinking about buying a 1/8 scale buggy. I've done a little research and have been looking at the xtm x-terminator, but haven't looked at much else. I will be using the buggy for hardcore backyard bashing only and never will race it. Also I would like to spend somewhere around $250-$350 on a complete rtr. Now I will be buying off of eBay and more than likely used. I know the Duratrax Axis is in this range and also the xterminator, but I've heard that the Axis isn't very durable and also underpowered. I have no problems with duratrax though. Every part I've broken on my evaders has been replaced for free with their warranty.:banana:

To get into the 1/8 scale world it will be very hard to stay within that budget for a complete RTR. If you already have good electronics and a radio you may be able to get something decent in that price range.

From what I read (I've never seen one in person) The Axis and the Xterminator are pretty much on par with the Ofna buggies. Alot of the guys here have bought a Lightning "Pro" brand new in the $300-$400 price range and have beat the hell out of them and not broken much if anything at all.

My recommendation would be to save up a bit more and get a better buggy. On the lower end you have the Ofna Hyper 7 and 9.5, then you have the GS Storm, Hot Bodies Lightning Pro, and if you have some serious cash go for an Inferno 7.5 or Mugen MBX.

Oh and stay away from ANYTHING with the name "Sports"....

The crowd chants, "Storm Storm Storm!!"

I can only speak for the Storm. I've beatin it harder than most of my monster trucks and have had hardly any problems in comparison. And, the thing flies even in stock RTR form.

Nuf said...

storm rtr..sitting duck

I am a proud storm RTR ownner.. and boy its pretty.... its been sitting on my floor for a week now. The gas tank hasnt even seen nitro yet. I am skeeeered to attempt to break the motor in. Reason is..for one i am a newbie to nitro. and 2....The storm i bought looked like a return to the store. The seal to the box was broken on both sides. The guy at my LHS said to not mess with the settings to the motor untill time to break in. But how do i know that someone didnt mess with the settings and took the thing back to the shop. Is there a way i can check the valve settings before i mess with it? This is the only thing keeping me from having some fun..plz helpppppp

Didnt realize the seals were broke till i got it home...i drove 67 miles to get it..and i wasn't going backkkkk

I thought I've read the engines in the rtr storm are crap. Is this right? The xterminator comes with the xtm 247 engine which is a good one from what I've researched and should have way more power. No one has any experience with this buggy? I might go storm if my local hobby shop carries the parts. Also another thing I don't like is that everyone on here complains about the rear shock tower and breaking it everytime you land upside down or do a flip on the wing. Is this true? Thanks guys! I'm still far from a decision though. Oh and BTW I found a few storms on ebay for around 350 which looked decent, but also found a couple xterminator that I could buy for around 260!! Thats with everything rtr!! very nice!

My LHS does carry the basic storm parts so I'm leaning a little towards the storm now, but still would like to hear some impressions on the xterminator.

Storm engine weak? HA! You've heard wrong nathan. The stock Storm engine is not a Hyper 8 port but it is anything but weak. Keep the stock pipe (LLLOOOUUDDD but I prefer it) and tune it right. I doubt you would be dissapointed.

As for breaking, somewhere around here is my Storm Jumpfest video. I did 30+ jumps and all I did was bend my shock tower. It's not in the vids but I did land tail first and on the wing a few times. Head on collision with a Mugen and all I did was bend a few screws.

Wannarunem... I think you got your answers now on the tuning didn't you?

I probably won't be jumping that high(saw your vids). I'm sure I only will be maybe clearing 10-15' at most and mostly under 5' jumps more than likely. However I don't have much experience yet and I'm sure I will be landing upside down and on the tail and on the nose and crooked and is there any other way how to land?:classic: If so then I will land it that way too. I just need to know it will take a beating. I also will more than likely upgrade to carbon fiber shock towers and leave the wing off until I get the hang of it. Still considering the axis and terminator just because they are about half the price and thats hard to argue with. Theres a terminator on eBay right now with a 247 motor AND a not even broke in 247 pro! That just seems to good to be true for $250. I still would rather go with the storm, but these prices are making it tough.:hammer:

you may want to also consider the ofna ultra mbx pro. i don't have any personal experiance with it but everybody who has it says that it is a great value for you dollar at about $330 to $350. it is durable and has a decent amount of speed and power.

BBW LOL: Yes that is a rtr kit with the extra engine also! I know it may go up a little, but still seems to be a steal.

Also i think the lightning is a decent buggy for349 and I've hit some many things going full throtle and i havent broke a thing. All i broke so far was the body i hit this kid going full throttle and it just cracked it. Its a pretty cool buggy and can take a beating. But for the price range you have thats the best you can get. My advice is to save up more money and get a storm or a mugen. But i still like the lighting.

How many days left on the auction? You realize most people wait until the last 15 minutes to bid on stuff. But yea, that seems like a bargain.

I have the money to spend. It's more of a choice if I want to spend that much on this hobby. I'm always trying to find a killer deal! If i can get the same performance from an xterminator for 100-175 less then I will do it.