Newbie here with a glow plug question.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chubby Nupta

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Does the glow plug rating (the car I was given had an 8 in it) affect the operating temperature of the engine or only the engines willingness to start. Mine starts, runs, then abruptly stops. Thanks

Does the glow plug rating (the car I was given had an 8 in it) affect the operating temperature of the engine or only the engines willingness to start. Mine starts, runs, then abruptly stops. Thanks
Yes, some are hotter & or colder..Check that plug, pull it & check for bright glow, or just change it. sometimes it's that easy. Check your fuel lines for air leaks. Maybe replace if they're really old.. has the car been sitting/stored?

From the things I've read, the temp of the plug dictates when it fires in the cycle. Hotter plug causes combustion earlier, colder causes it later. Higher nitro fuel usually is ran with a cooler plug. 20% nitro on down is usually ran with a hot plug.

If a plug is worn out, it won't catalyze with the methanol in the fuel and doesn't stay hot well, so will stall after you remove the heater.

https://rogershobbycenter.com/allaboutglowplugs

Or it could be just too rich and is stalling because the plug can't overcome the excess fuel without the heater.

I run 25% fuel and find that my engines seem to run best with a medium plug.

Yes, some are hotter & or colder..Check that plug, pull it & check for bright glow, or just change it. sometimes it's that easy. Check your fuel lines for air leaks. Maybe replace if they're really old.. has the car been sitting/stored?
Thanks for the response Nitro Pirate, my new best friend.
The plug glows cherry red which I assume is OK. Does a hot plug mean the engine will run hot too? Also do you need to glow a hot engine? I wondered if when it suddenly stopped it was because it was overheating and the tolerances were shrinking. Does that sound possible?
Yes, the car has has been sitting for some time.
I'll follow your advice and and swap out the fuel lines.
Onward and upward.
So far my "Free Car" has cost me about 200 bucks, which I doubt is this final number.

Thanks for the response Nitro Pirate, my new best friend.
The plug glows cherry red which I assume is OK. Does a hot plug mean the engine will run hot too? Also do you need to glow a hot engine? I wondered if when it suddenly stopped it was because it was overheating and the tolerances were shrinking. Does that sound possible?
Yes, the car has has been sitting for some time.
I'll follow your advice and and swap out the fuel lines.
Onward and upward.
So far my "Free Car" has cost me about 200 bucks, which I doubt is this final number.

If the Glow plug glows like that ,then it maybe a different issue!....?

I would check all other things as well ,fuel flow to the carb ,[Too much or not enough]
Loose head ,plugged carb ,or fuel filter in the tank!....:cool: