New to the game, some questions.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acerblue

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hello guys. I am 21 and I am stationed at Dyess AFB, in Abilene Texas. I am stopping by to ask some questions about the Revo. I just recently got in to the hobby and really am interested in taking things a step up.

First things first, am I safe to take my revo apart to clean it? It seems that over the week I've had it that there is so much mud and crap on parts that are hard to get to, should I be concerned? If so whats the best way to go about getting the crap off. rubbing alchohol seems to work good so far but I dont want to damage any parts. I really want to keep my car in good condition and what not.

Next, bodies. Where can I get some nice rare bodies. I dont want a crowd pleasure or anything like that. I am after something original perhaps a mustang body? I have my eye on a old school beattle body on ebay but I'm not sure on what sizes bodies fit the revo... thats one of my biggest questions. What fits?

Third, what can I do to take things a step up? to make sure I have the nicest car in abliene quality wise? Where can I get better stronger parts then the stock parts? What things do you guys feel I should upgrade off to bat on my revo.

Here in Abilene we have a track on base and one off base. There isnt a huge community of rc racers around but enough to make it fun. So I really just want to have a nice sharp looking and top performing car. Any help you guys can give a young buck would be appricated.

Also what is the best place to buy parts online?

I really would like to know the best after market parts that are strong and better then the stock traxxas parts.

Thanks. -Acer
:D

Next

Last edited:
I dont know much/anything about revo's but I'm sure replacing your main plastic parts with RPM stuff would be a good step to take. Yeah its safe to take it apart and clean it just remember where/how everything came apart lol. Theres alot of great online places to get parts,www.Eastendmachining.com, www.Amainhobbies.com, www.Towerhobbies.com and theres alot more but those are the main ones I go through.

well first things first welcom to the brotherhood, and also thank you for your service in the armed forces, with out people like you we wouldn't have our freedom so thank you for that.
Now back to your questions, the weakest points on the revo are the a-arms, your best bet is to go with rpm a arms all the way around front and back thats the biggest thing and not to mention one of the best things you can do, and as far as power and performance and engine upgrade is never a bad thing to do, a picco .26 maxx or picco .26 JL RedDot are the easiest ones to put on a revo, all you need is the engine mount and your done. Now bodies proline makes some nice ones but i saw ur interested in doing a mustang, thats cool and all but imo, a revo is a "monster truck" so personally something "trucky" is the only way to go. and also for your suspensoin you should get the red pushrods they look better and they are stronger, i have them on my rig and i wouldn't use anything else, when i get another revo new or used i am going to put the red rods on there if they aren't already. Wheels and tires are another thing you can do to make it perform better and handle better, proline makes some good tires for just about any terrain from tarmac to mud they have tires for it all, for pavement and hard packed dirt the "PROLINE ROADRAGE" is a good tire, where i have to bash is all pavement so i run those, i am getting a set of HPI PHALTLINE tires just because i like the tread pattern more, but thats a comletly different post. I hope this information helps you.

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM

Thanks so far guys.

Here is what I've done so far.

I got the red pushrods, I got new tires and wheels for better preformance. My tires are crimefighters. Not sure about the wheels but my buddy said they are the most sturdy wheels he has ever bought and wouldnt have any other now that he has those.

I dont really feel the need to upgrade my engine, I just really wish I knew how to clean it properly as I know its dirty (the car sat around while I was deployed for 6 months and I forgot to clean it beforehand).

As long as you stay away from the electronics, some simple green or DA (denatured alcohol, no water like rubbing/isopropal) will work just fine.

Personally, I waterproof my rigs as I always seem to find some water when out bashing anyway. I put the receiver pack in a balloon and ziptie the mouth around the wires, the receiver in a balloon and ziptie and water-resistant servos. Then I can hit it heavy with 409, let it soak a bit, then hit it with a hose (after putting a baggie over the air filter) and not worry about it. I hit the servos/engine/bearings with canned air to get the standing water off. Then I hit the exposed bearings with a shot of WD-40 and call it a day.

As others have said, RPM arms all around. TiNi shock shafts are a nice upgrade. Getting a good single servo to replace the two stock on steering is also the norm. A hitec 985MG works well on that rig with a traxxas heavy duty servo spring and hitec compatible horns.

Also, as a personal preference, I ditch reverse as it's a weak spot in the trans and requires you to have an extra servo and opti-sensor thing. Less crap = better and more reliable in my book. This is doable with the FOC (forward only conversion kit) that traxxas offers. It includes a plug for the opt-sensor hole. You have to take the trans apart, but it's a worthwhile job IMHO.

Welcome to the world of "there is never enough to upgrade"!

I know there is more people out there that have input. If yall could please answer all my questions to the best of your ability I would really appricate it.

What hasnt been answered yet?

you can buy electronics safe Nitro spray cleaners...you can even use a MAF sensor cleaner - i've used it on my Nitro cars for years..designed to clean and protect electronics and it will evaporate and not leave you with a residue...there are a bunch of places to get bodies for the truck..honestly..Ebay has been my source for a lot of parts for the Revo - just do a search in the Toys and hobbies section - there is a R/C section on there - plug in Revo as the search and you will see like 4000 auctions for everything...

pushrods, cool looking RPM a-arms or even aluminum if you want to drop the coin...do a tuned pipe on it for some sound and power...and wheels and tires of course...lots of shiznit out there bud...

Ok with bodies let me be more specific... *sigh* I have no idea what bodies fit or how to tell if it will fit. I want a nice car body even though I know its a truck. So how can I tell what will fit and what wont?

the bodies will be made for the truck...again ebay is your friend...if you do a search for "Revo" and then "body" there are a lot of choices out there..from Gravedigger body to F150 bodies and bronco's and all kinds of stuff...it does need to be made for the truck so it has the proper cutout for the engine and other parts to run it...

Ok with bodies let me be more specific... *sigh* I have no idea what bodies fit or how to tell if it will fit. I want a nice car body even though I know its a truck. So how can I tell what will fit and what wont?

Check out Prolines web sight. Tons of bodies. The sight will show you which bodies are for the revo. They must have at least 15-20 different revo bodies. www.proline.com Just search through the menu's it's pretty easy to navigate their web sight

Check out Prolines web sight. Tons of bodies. The sight will show you which bodies are for the revo. They must have at least 15-20 different revo bodies. www.proline.com Just search through the menu's it's pretty easy to navigate their web sight

that's www.prolineracing.com, and they have about 10 bodies for the 3.3 revo.. I'm certain that the tmaxx bodies fit the 2.5

You can also get the dimensions of the Revo body and then just look for a body with close dimensions at tower. They have a ton of bodies to choose from. If it's not a Revo specific body, it'll take some modifying to make it fit so that you can still use the electri start. Otherwise you'll have to start it body off and then put your body on while running. A lot of folks do it. Check dimensions on any body in the tech notes on towers site. Good luck!