New to revo need help programming the optidrive

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revo_rob_1984

OverMedicated
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hello all my name is rob and i am new to the nitro revo. I recieved the truck as a gift from my boss and he purchased it used and i didn't get any books or tools for it so i have been slowly but surely been building my "tool box".. . 1. what types of tools am i gonna need right away or down the road money is really no object, and 2. how do u program the optidrive because from what i understood with the optidrive i am supposed to have reverse and i don't do much real racing except for the neighbors savage and i eat him alive every time so I'm not to concerned about higher top speed so if someone could please help me program the optidrive so i have reverse i would really appreciate it
Thanx
:D
~ReVo_RoB~

All the Opti-Crap does is prevent you from going into reverse unless the truck comes to a full stop. If you are trying to go into reverse while moving this is why you can't.

If you ARE coming to a full stop and it still doesn't go into reverse it may be that the previous owner installed a Forward Only Conversion (FOC). If that is the case you would have two choices: keep it the way it is or go back to original.

Either way ditch the Opti-Drive as they tend to crap out and cause all kinds of headaches. Besides, it will save you a little on weight...

Either way ditch the Opti-Drive as they tend to crap out and cause all kinds of headaches. Besides, it will save you a little on weight...

:goodpost: I agree, get rid of that extra weight if it has the FOC.

ok cool thanx for the insight but where i run having reverse may help me out but i'll keep it the way it is haha. . .but as far as tools go what type of tools am i gonna definatly need, i already have the 4 way wrench for glow plugs and a set of precision screwdrivers and a few allen wrenches but thats really it

if you rcvd the 5308 model revo, there will be no reverse and the tool kit is fairly complete. the only thing I found short was a good 6" or so long 1/8" straight blade screw driver to adjust tune w/o having to remove the body. I'd also get a regular 5/16" nut driver for the glow plug just becuse the one included barlely clears the cooling head and won't turn 360deg becuse it hits the handle/roll guard. That is assuming the 2mm and 2.5mm T'bent allen wrenches and the 1.5mm and 2.5mm L allen wrench came with the kit. If none of the tools were included, you'll also need a 8mm combo wrench, 5mm combo wrench, 17mm socket and drive. Well, the list could go on but this is the basics that will be able to cover most suspension and engine adjustments.

Get yourself a Temp gun and check your temps often... I burnt up a 3.3 because I was running at 335°F.. I thought " Wow, this thing is really working good... Untill I checked the temp with a borrowed gun. I had loads of blue smoke so I thought I was good, but I had an air leak... I now have my own and use it everytime I'm out...

A Failsafe is a great idea too, unless you are talking to my LHS. He says they are a waste of money and cause more problems than they solve. Weird !

Get a set of Snap-On T-handle allen wrenches cause if they strip you can get they replace for free.

i hated the optidrive, i removed it.

How can you remove the opti drive (crap) I want to get rid of mine? Can you have the 2 speed still or you would need to get a FOC?????

The trans will still have two speeds if you remove the OptiCrap. An FOC is up to you. If you don't go with one you will have to remember to come to a COMPLETE stop before shifting into reverse as that is what the OptiDrive prevents. To remove it simply unplug it from the servo and from the receiver and plug in the servo in it's place. Now take out the unit...

A fail safe is a must if you do that though remember! Ofna makes a great micro fail safe, right around $22 for it, it's a must have without the opti-drive.

The OptiDrive has zero to do with run-away rigs as it doesn't have a failsafe in it anyway, but a failsafe is a must on ANY rig regardless (see above comments).

I never ran the Tx batteries low enough to find out, makes sense... if the Rx batteries went low enough to lose reception, the return spring would bring it back to idle, never thought about it. Thanks.

Last edited:
The OptiDrive has zero to do with run-away rigs as it doesn't have a failsafe in it anyway, but a failsafe is a must on ANY rig regardless (see above comments).
I removed mine, had no issues without a failsafe as the throttle has a spring, battery dies and the spring sends the throttle back to idle anyway, had 0 run aways happen. No FOC fitted either.

I removed mine, had no issues without a failsafe as the throttle has a spring, battery dies and the spring sends the throttle back to idle anyway, had 0 run aways happen. No FOC fitted either.
12 year old thread my man.