New to hobby - help to identify..

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantmygti

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All

I’m looking to get in to the hobby - quite fancy a Savage but would like to build from a kit and these don’t seem to be available at the moment. So thought about buying a used example to tinker with. Anyone know what this is? It’s listed as ‘HPI petrol RC’ but wanted to determine the model...

Thanks in advance...

Nick

can you get a picture of the markings on the motor? on one side it should have some sort of branding,
i am almost certain it is a "Duratrax"brand "nitro quake" model
also there should be some sort of badging on the servos. it looks to be missing some bumpers though. I've read both these being really good and being meh, though it seems that the "meh" people were expecting the truck to be what it wasn't designed for.
also make sure have a air filter on it before you run it!
good luck and happy rcing!

Thanks for the info D3mon - I don’t have any more pics or info at this stage. It’s going for £40 so thought it may be worth a punt but was hoping it was a Savage.

Savages are pretty easily identified by the verticle chassis plates, as you can see on here they are horizontal (flat). It seems that most sellers that dont know rcs tend to call everything HPI and or a savage. Another good basher would be a variant of the losi lst.

That’s a fair shout - looking at it again it seems fairly obvious. As much as I’d like to get in to the hobby I don’t want to spend mega money on it and I’m kinda nervous that I will be restricted on where I can use it due to noise. The Losi stuff looks good but expensive!

Ebay has a pretty good selection of savages, for right in the 200$ range, also just a forewarning in about every nitro RC purchase always expect to buy a new engine. Unless you watch it ran and can be their physically to check compression and pinch. For that nitro quake it would be a good deal but parts are getting harder to find. More or less at the mercy of ebay availability. Expect to be at least 300+/- in for a nitro. There are some cheaper brands like redcat/hsp/exceed but those are not really expected to be more than a true entry level to hobby grade rcs, though they use SH brand engines wich are good engines. I've owned an electric exceed and was happy with it, but it seems many others not as much.

Thanks very much for your time and views. I’m over in the U.K. but have taken a look at your links. I would prefer to build one up but it’s looking like buying a decent used one is the more affordable way forward.

Have decided to give the nitro quake a miss.

Building one up from scratch is the best way to learn a truck from the ground up imho, it will be more expensive though in the long run. To me it would be a good idea to buy a roller as they are normally cheaper and the engine and electronics are normally the weaker links of RTR's unless upgraded, and the engines on used like i said above are pretty much expected to be DOA, so you aren't paying for something to be replaced anyway.
either way good luck! none of this is intended to try to shy you away from nitro rc's, it is so much fun and i wish everyone could enjoy them!
personally i have never owned a savage but i hear they are great trucks!

Back