new to electric. don't know stuff

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballen

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i was given a bunch of elec tric cars motors not on them but have a bunch in
a box ,bunch of esc's some motors have wires some don't .now for the ?

WTF how do you hook up this stuff? got motors, bats receivers, ecs's do you have to program them / how do you know which terminals to hook up which wires to . Very frustrated ready to sell all elec. and just keep nitro .it is so much easyer to understand. adjust carbs prime motors hook up ignighter pull and it starts .:angry::( this is some of what i have first 3 rustler next 11 are different veiws of second car and then 1 street says shumacher Mi 2 on the bottom

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/album.php?albumid=592

Last edited:
LMAO, sorry to laugh at you man, but I understand your frustration. It happens when you jump (or get pushed) into the deep end of a hobby. Try not to get too worried, look at the learning experience and don't concentrate on the end result. I'm drawling up a basic brushless diagram for you right now with my insane poor-mans-photoshop (MS Paint)

---------- Post added at 7:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:40 AM ----------

First step is you must figure out what you have. Sort it into like piles. Post some pictures if need be, but you must know what you have before you start attempting to plug things together.

Brushed Or Brushless motors? Brushed will have two posts with one wire each (often a little capacitor between posts) and polarity must be observed when wiring these. Brushless sensorless will have 3 wires and really it doesn't matter which wire goes where when connecting to ESC, if it runs backwards just switch two.
Brushless sensored will have the 3 primary along with a few more (usually smaller) wires that connect to the ESC. A sensored ESC should work fine with a sensorless motor and I;ve read that a sensored motor will work with a sensorless ESC although you will likely have issues getting it rolling then its fine.
Below is the basic layout of my electric rig. Things may be located in different places but the wiring should remain the same.
BrushlessWiring.jpg

Last edited:
you want some pic's i will get some give me 20 min at the most i need ti dig the stuff out of the drawers can't spell dam batt went dead in camera

Last edited:
Sure it wont hurt. I'm new to the hobby but spend quite a bit of time learning from the vast knowledge the other guys here share.

here's pic's of esc's

do ya need pic's fo the motors to so ya know what i got? what if motors are not brushless ?
and can ya put any motor on any same size car or truck. are there different motors for cars then trucks . I would think so just because of the size difference

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/album.php?albumid=592

Last edited:
Yes there are differences in motors, you have different KV ratings. High KV=Higher Speed w/ lower torque. Lower KV higher KV w/ lower top end speed. IDing what you have is the first step.

You have a good assortment of stuff. Hope you have a soldering iron cause you'll be doing some soldering, but there's a good chance you'll be able to get atleast one full working set up if not more out of your box of goodies. Approach this as a learning experience and it'll go alot smoother. I like my nitro, but electric is alot simpler once you have it all figured out. I'm going to step back and let some more experienced guys help identify what you have, but I'm seeing duratrax and novak which is a good sign. A picture of your motors would be good too so perhaps someone can make suggestions on what to pair up. Here's what little I could ID, looks like you have an assortment of 1/10 and mini and micro electronics here:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?I=LXWJX0&P=8

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/esc/rooster/index.html

http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSB1087

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJSP7

Sensored brushless has extra wires that lead to sensors in the motor that are constantly reading the position of the motor and sending it back to the ESC. Too fancy for my liking but I guess it's more efficient power.

Looks like all your stuff is brushed motor stuff of different scale. Maybe when people get off work tonight you'll get some folks like slowgreen, racer, and rolex or one of the others with a wealth of RC knowledge will stroll through and enlighten us on the remaining pieces and offer some advice.

i have been looking at the links that you put up and i gota say thank you very helpfull i don't rememmber which one it was but has a lot of downloadable manuels .so i looked through some and saved to a file the ones i needed but still need to find a lot more cause i have more than the pic.i only found about 3 or four manuals so far that i know i can use, some are for brushless don't know if i have any brushless motors or even if motors are any good .Do ya know how to test them with out it being a big pain and taking up a lot of space .the only place i have to work on my stuff is on my coffe table or computer desk (wife does not like it). to many mosqtoes outside ,ever since the hurrican went through you can't even walk out with the dogs after about 2:30 pm .open the door and you can literaly watch them fly in

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

is there a way to see if the esc's work Dum ? they have to be hooked up to check just not soldered.will a brushless esc work for a brushed motor or vise versa

Last edited:
Telling brushless from brushed is pretty simple as far as I know. Looking at them a brushed will be open and vented, brushless will be sealed up. Bushed typically have 2 leads and brushless will have 3 (more for sensored).

no only have one brushless ,that has an esc allready .no receiver though. how can i test it .?actually don't even want it P.M me if you are interested i will send ya a picture(steret car)

thats all airplanes and helicopters not my thing

Back