New Side of Hobby=New Rig

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grgbulldog

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
It's been a long time since I've been around the forums. I mostly got out of rc and have been doing other things(aquariums,snakes,work). My boss used to have an original grasshopper and an old rustler. A couple weeks ago he started talking about rc and we looked up tracks and saw there was a clay indoor track right down the road.

I went to check it out and ended up with a TLR 22 3.0. I've only ever bashed, but this looked like so much fun. The roller is built, and body is painted. My electronics should be here this week. The tires are jconcepts dirt webs in gold compound.

70503.jpg

70507.jpg

20160530_101520.jpg

_2.IMG_20160530_101253.jpg

_2.IMG_20160528_210047.jpg

Sick! Congrats on the new rig, looks real good. What electronics you going to run? Buggies and truggies are perfect for bashing too, they are so easy to get technical with that you can hit really rad stuff and actually land haha.

Thanks guys. I'm a little tight on money right now. I just moved and such so I decidea to take advantage of tower's easy pay on my motor and esc and got the lrp 8.5t x20 combo with the team works flow esc. I just saw good reviews even though it's a bit of an older set up. Knowing nothing about servos I got an hs5625mg speed servo.

I already have an old futaba 3pl fhss tx from years ago. The reciever antenna got shortened from a bad slide in my rc18t, but if I recall correctly I had it later installed in my savage and didn't have a problem. I also ordered 2 associated wolf pack 3800mah 25c shorty packs. Yes. Because 2 of those is the same price of any other high output competition pack I could find haha.

Sharp looking paint job on the body!
Thanks. I did it old school with masking tape and spray cans. Took me 3 hours to mask off that yellow. Still bled.

You may want a bit higher torque servo like the HiTec HS-5645MG. I had really good luck with them on my X-Ray XB-8 buggy (both throttle/brake and steering) as well as on my TC-4 and Vaterra Ascender CUCV project.

I was planning on it. To be honest I kind of threw a cart together at 3am on a slightly drunk impulse so yeah. I'm building the car this way for now. I get the feeling I'll be buying lots of parts and different rigs with how close I live to the track.

Looking back at it now, I should have gone with the 45 since there is no money difference and 30oz of torque extra.

LOL, yeah, we've all been there. All out TQ isn't as important as speed for racing IME. Don't get me wrong, you need enough TQ to move whatever size tires you'll be running with authority, but speed is what lets you make corrections faster and keeps you on your desired line.

LOL, yeah, we've all been there. All out TQ isn't as important as speed for racing IME. Don't get me wrong, you need enough TQ to move whatever size tires you'll be running with authority, but speed is what lets you make corrections faster and keeps you on your desired line.

Honestly it will be the best servo I ever have bought, and I've never raced so I'm no pro trying to tune it all out perfectly. I don't plan on being the fastest. I plan on being consistent, just like how I sim race on iracing.

Consistency is the key. Our best drivers at our on road track vary no more than 2/10s of second per lap.

the best feeling ever !!! I just got some goods for my promod build! I feel the same way!

For some reason nothing will let me upload a picture right now. The lrp hardcase charging adaptor I ordered has an ehr balance connector. I only have the jst and whatever the other one is that came with my hyperion charger. Would it be bad to charge the batteries without balancing them a couple times at first?

It is the male side of this on the charging squid.
http://www.lrp-americastore.com/lrp-lipo-adapter-wire-ehr-balancing-plug-extension/

Last edited:
well, my two cents on this is.... it would be great if you can balance them the first few times. After the batteries are balanced the first few cycles you would only need to balance them every 10 charges or so. It will not kill your batts, just make sure to balance them as soon as you get the right adapter. Charge them and use them so you can put that beauty on the road!

The charging cable is on its way. I should have payed closer attention.

I did get it finished finally and took it on its first test drive. I'm hoping to take it to the track to practice tomorrow, so I figured I'd give the tires a little break in. I've never driven an rc car that feels anything like this buggy. I like it. It is incredibly stable and easy to drive.

I also zip tied my phone with a GPS app running to get a ball park idea on top speed for my roomate's son. I have the stock 78t spur with a 23t pinion right now on it that went 40.08mph according to my phone. Just something for fun. The track is too small for that.

Here are some pics post test run.
20160605_094450.jpg
20160605_094434.jpg
20160605_094442.jpg
14651347362082089279375.jpg

There's only one problem with those pics: NOT ENOUGH DIRT! Go play at the track now!

dude that's a sweet ride! I ran my Vaterra V100 yesterday with my forerunner 201 and got to 57mph but I ran out of room.

I might have to start messing with my Slash, your build gave the urge to start bashing again.
blck.JPG

slash.JPG

Back