New Savage owner tips

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro Nerd

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I have two neighbors whom I helped with their Savages this week (one brand new and on ~3/4 gallon). The 3/4 gallon one has not even been off-road...

I'm sure there are a plethora of tips out there, but here are a few I've seen first hand that might help someone:

1. Thread locking screws. The 3/4 gallon owner did not thread lock screws. I took off his engine and noticed the engine mount screws were loose (as in coming out). Only two of them were thread locked. I thread locked his mount and showed where all to thread lock it. I guess he forgot because 20 minutes after giving it back he was driving it out front and stripped his gear (his engine plate top screws were loose). I checked screws on the new Savage and only %30 of the screws that should have been thread-locked were. Reply to this thread if you need to know which screws as someone can easily help.

2. Shifting. The neighbor with the brand new one really wanted his to shift 'like mine'. He jumped the gun and started jacking with his shift poiny, but turned the wrong screw. That is VERY easy to do. I would not worry about shifting until at least a gallon. The shift point screw is extremely sensitive, so until you feel you have it tuned well and it's getting RPMs...don't touch.

3. Steering servo: I put a new servo on for one of them. He 'upgraded' his servo from the stock to one with 110oz/.20, which he got for $46.00. I suggested he take it back as he would see little if any difference, and for the exact same price can get one that has 216/.14, However the LHS guy told him it was 'better' so he stuck with it. I put it on and brought it over.....there was NO difference that could be seen (to where he thought i was pranking him). I then tried it next to one with a $5.00 servo (LOSB0819)...you could not tell a difference. I moved up the food chain and the tangible differences were first seen at 192/.18, with 216/.14 being a HUGE jump.
--Long-winded way of saying if you are going to upgrade servos, get at least 200/.15 or not point spending any money at all. If you just need to replace, $5.00 LOSB0819 works fine (I have some with over 4 gallons)

4. Clutch bearings. I believe in checking/changing them often, some don't. That's fine. What I can tell you is on the 3/4 gallon one...the bearings were complete toast. Seals gone from each one and and the bell was incredibly choppy when it spun.

5.TF-40 transmitter. The trim buttons are extremely easy to accidentally turn. Once stopped my engine to adjust slipper...dropped the transmitter and upon restarting the damn thing took off (when I dropped the tx the idle trim got moved). Check it before every start. The instructional manual shows how to check it in the 'Starting the Engine for the First Time' section.

I hope this helps anyone unaware of these items. Thanks

somehow if i remember right, i got both my savox servos for less than $50 (1258TG)..but i bought a half a dozen. still $65 for one isnt really that bad either.

I am GUILTY of not threadlocking screws, but then again, i have never had them fall out after i take my Dewalt hammer-driver after them!

i have my motors out frequently, due to changing different brands of engines between 2 trucks (nova 28-7rt, picco , os-30, LRP 32 ,F46, S25, , so mine get inspected alot. have never had a bearing go bad yet.

good post for new savage owners!

I like the 1258's. I run one as throttle on my Mugen. I'm running a 7955 on my Savage for steerimg but am going to try a 170ss on it for it. I really need my Savage to turn much quicker faster than it is (and I've gone through the steering/switched bushings to bearings, etc.) The assembly is smooth. I'm sure I'm spoiled with buggies/truggies, but see no reason the Savage would not perform better with stronger/faster steering.For throttle I am running LOSB0819.

I was actually surprised the stock bearings went out so quickly. Especially since he has yet to take it off-road. There is good, notchy, and then this, (I was surprised the bell was even turning).

the clutchbell may not even have been shimmed properly from the factory? lots dont happen before they are put in a box.

helped the neighbor with his kids exceed or something yesterday. truck had never been fired and first thing we had to do was adjust the idle, then everytime he would turn on the remote with the engine running , the engine would wind to full throttle. had to re-adjust the linkeages its a good example of how things dont get done by the builder

1258 seems like a good steering servo to me. i use 0251 as my throttles. flux seems more touchy to steer than the X or Xl, but i think thats because the 1258 is getting more juice. they are rated higher at 7.2v. i just havent gotten around to switching the X and Xl to that voltage. i wanted good servos, but did not want to spend a fortune. savox's are glitchy, though

Last edited: