new member & LST problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K.Rob.LST

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
many problems with my LST. I ran it to warm up but it ended up geting to 392 degres so I tryed riching it up. after it got up to almost double the temp it should be, it just doesn't sound the same when i try starting it. But evuentaly it does start, i just also have compresion problems (which i think come from the primer on the tank).So after seting the needles I go to start it again and it starts up but as soon as I take the glow plug starter out, it dies. So I got a new glow plug and it ran fine for a couple minutes then i did the " fuel line test " and when i went to start it aging, the glow plug wasn't heating up. So is the engine probally near the end, our is it 2 hard to say without seeing it and whats up with the glow plugs?

400 degrees is way too hot for the motor, my LST (1st generation) likes to run around 220-250. I'm pretty sure your compression problem would be from the overheating. The primer needs to be pulled out of the fuel tank. Search for primer/tank under this forum and there is a detailed 'how to' on getting that done.

Question: Is this a new LST/motor, if not how many gallons have been run through it? What did the glow plug look like when you replaced it, and what kind of plug are you using?

if your motor is running that hot, you will constantly pop plugs every few minutes, they can't withstand those temps. also if your truck is new or old, and is running that hot, you have an air leak, thats the only thing that could cause such high temps if your needles are reasonably close to factory settings. Do a search on here or and LST forum for sealing an engine, you must be getting a major air leak!

Its now running at a decent temp, I had to rich it up alot passed factory settings. But the plugs are still popin after a couple minutes. 3 different plugs did the same thing, ran fine until i killed it to start it back up, then they were dead. Not even a gallon has been through it and its the same .26 mach engine. also i guess the front diffs need to be serviced? I can hear them grinding, and when i let off the gas its like an auto brake comes on and the front locks up.

Thank you both for your time and help

With your diff problem, that can also cause your engine to run hot since it's working harder to overcome the resistance. You may have to retune it after fixing your diff. I'm not sure if running too rich can foul a plug, but it seems possible, so maybe the richening of the HSN you had to do may contribute to the dieing plugs.

I was popping them after a few minutes also. I started using "Q" brand plugs, and havent had a problem in over a half gallon.