New HPI Savage X 4.6

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gablett

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So I guess I might as well start a thread since I'm getting back into RC with a vengeance. First my history, I grew up racing my did on our back yard course with Associated RC10 kit cars. I don't think I had the same engine in it for more than a week as I loved tinkering to beat dad. Next we moved to the pavement with Associated TC3 kits. Those were a blast, but so limiting as to where and when you can race. After a number of years away I got the itch and bought a (heavily) used T-maxx. That thing was a nightmare from day 1. Always something breaking, the motor was terrible. So I sold it and it left a bad taste and got away from the hobby for several more years. Well now I have kids of my own and I remembered how much fun I had with them so me and my dad and my kids are going to get back into it. So I have coming a RTR Savage. I loved building the kits as a kid, but I just dont have time anymore to do that. Along with it, after reading forums like this I ordered some other parts along with it.

HPI sway bar set
Blue RPM skid plate
HPI steering upgrade bearings
Aluminum servo horns
Savox 1258TG for throttle
Hitec 7955 for steering
4 Proline trencher 3.8" tires mounted on black wheels 1/2 offset

So that should get me started. Hopefully have it ready to be broken in this weekend. I thought about going electric, but theres just something so gratifying about the smell of nitro burning. So Ill be sure to post some pictures once its actually in hand.

I sold my savage x and replaced it with a erevo brushless not half as much fun so I went on line and ordered a nitro savage xl much more fun IMO .

So I guess I might as well start a thread since I'm getting back into RC with a vengeance. First my history, I grew up racing my did on our back yard course with Associated RC10 kit cars. I don't think I had the same engine in it for more than a week as I loved tinkering to beat dad. Next we moved to the pavement with Associated TC3 kits. Those were a blast, but so limiting as to where and when you can race. After a number of years away I got the itch and bought a (heavily) used T-maxx. That thing was a nightmare from day 1. Always something breaking, the motor was terrible. So I sold it and it left a bad taste and got away from the hobby for several more years. Well now I have kids of my own and I remembered how much fun I had with them so me and my dad and my kids are going to get back into it. So I have coming a RTR Savage. I loved building the kits as a kid, but I just dont have time anymore to do that. Along with it, after reading forums like this I ordered some other parts along with it.

HPI sway bar set
Blue RPM skid plate
HPI steering upgrade bearings
Aluminum servo horns
Savox 1258TG for throttle
Hitec 7955 for steering
4 Proline trencher 3.8" tires mounted on black wheels 1/2 offset

So that should get me started. Hopefully have it ready to be broken in this weekend. I thought about going electric, but theres just something so gratifying about the smell of nitro burning. So Ill be sure to post some pictures once its actually in hand.

A must for your savage is an XL chassis upgrade, its a must for handling and stability. it also makes the truck look better. all you need is the TVP's and longer rear drive shaft. everything else will mount up

A must for your savage is an XL chassis upgrade, its a must for handling and stability. it also makes the truck look better. all you need is the TVP's and longer rear drive shaft. everything else will mount up

Could you buy chance send me a link to the best option for those parts? Thanks!

this is my savage after getting 1/2 inch offset wheels and XL conversion

Attachments

• unnamed%20(11).jpg
    unnamed%20(11).jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 438
this is my savage after getting 1/2 inch offset wheels and XL conversion

Thanks for the link. Man the mods are endless before I even have the darn thing out of the box lol. That looks nice. I got the Trenchers in hand today, man those looks sweet. Best looking RC tires I've seen IMHO.

A must for your savage is an XL chassis upgrade, its a must for handling and stability.

That depends on what you’re going to do with it. General bashing the XL is more stable but…

On an off road track, the shorter chassis handles much better than the long XL version does. Too long, too wide and your just plowing through the corners like a dump truck.

well keep in mind if the truck is longer and wider and only weighs about 8 oz more than stock, its better all around except for the turning radius

ah nevermind! maybe i should have thought out your comment a little more:p i think savage should put on the box " bashing truck! unless you convert to a truggy"

Dont get me wrong: I'm not bashing the Savage at all, I have several.
The short savage chassis can be made into a decent track rig with the right setup. The XL length is just too long for most tracks.

I don't intend to race this on a track at all. I'd probably buy a ten-scte if I wanted to do that. This will b pure and simple ground stomping thrashing. Fed ex delivered today. Hoping to open the box tomorrow.

I think you've made some good choices for initial upgrades. I'd recommend getting a good feel for the truck before before making any major changes--I'm sure with your experience you know that. I don't own the XL plates---and at some point will try them (I've read good and bad). One of my neighbors has an XL, and I think my 4.6 handles better....BUT to be fair he's new to the hobby and doesn't know how to set up his vehicles for different environments yet.

Then only thing I would suggest you consider is a wheelie bar. It's my favorite thing about the Savage. ;-)

Congrats on your new x I sold mine to get xl . That 4.6 I had it tuned so good truck would flip if ya snaped ths throttle. Seemed very unstable but lots of fun.

I think you've made some good choices for initial upgrades. I'd recommend getting a good feel for the truck before before making any major changes--I'm sure with your experience you know that. I don't own the XL plates---and at some point will try them (I've read good and bad). One of my neighbors has an XL, and I think my 4.6 handles better....BUT to be fair he's new to the hobby and doesn't know how to set up his vehicles for different environments yet.

Then only thing I would suggest you consider is a wheelie bar. It's my favorite thing about the Savage. ;-)

Yea I almost pulled the trigger on the wheelie bar, but figured I would see how it handled before I did that.

gablett, you need a wheelie bar, if not your gonna hurt the body more than you want lol

gablett, you need a wheelie bar, if not your gonna hurt the body more than you want lol

Yea I figured I should have ordered it. Is the HPI one about the best option?

---------- Post added at 1:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

I did have another question. I read about some people filling their diffs with out. Is that something to consider? How do you fill it without it just running out?

The hpi is a great wheelie bar takes alot of good smashes from jumping without breaking. Have broken a few from being crazy but they're are amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.