New here

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10-7

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I’m considering getting into 1/5 scale any advise is appreciated. I have some r/c nitro experience with 1/8 scale and have a general mechanical knowledge and don’t mind working on things. My electronics knowledge is also good, my other hobby is model trains run by doc, computer. So what do you all think, should I jump up to 1/5 or start out smaller and work my way up ? I do want to stick with fuel engines

I’m considering getting into 1/5 scale any advise is appreciated. I have some r/c nitro experience with 1/8 scale and have a general mechanical knowledge and don’t mind working on things. My electronics knowledge is also good, my other hobby is model trains run by doc, computer. So what do you all think, should I jump up to 1/5 or start out smaller and work my way up ? I do want to stick with fuel engines
honestly that decision is entirely up to you, i would think the main consideration is whether or not you will have room for a 1/5 scale and locations to run it. in my case i don't really think id have room, or places to run a 1/5 scale, i still plan on getting one eventually.
1/5 scale is going to be more expensive as well, to maintain and to upgrade/replace broken parts. sadly nitro isnt quite as popular so options are not quite as diverse as it used to be and still having good parts support. (except for buggies and truggies because those are still raced for the most part.) are you wanting to go more on road? short course? MT? buggy?

@10-7 1/5th scale RC's are a freaking blast so long as you have the room to run them. They are far more simpler to run compared to nitro.

Which model are you looking at getting at the moment?

The are few basic differences between 1/8 and 1/5:
- Money: 1/5 is way more expensive
- Weight: 1/5 is much heavier
- Lipo's: 1/5 needs a lot of high quality lipo's
- Handling: 1/8 handles better and is much more suited for jumps and i.e. backflips

That said (i own both 1/8 and 1/5 on 6s and 8s lipo) if you have a big space 1/5 is a blast to drive and work on. The 8s power systems are awesome!
BUT i would wait for 30 days because the rumors are Arrma is coming with a 1/5 scale rc. They have a countdown timer on their website:

https://www.arrma-rc.com

Let me know if you have any questions.

Back