New guy bought some fixer uppers

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wevil

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I recently bought 2 used T-MAXX trucks and a variety parts lot. This is my first RC ever and I am looking forward to making at least 1 maybe 2 working trucks out of this pile of parts. The previous owner said they have been sitting for over 2 years (with fuel in the one). He started the one that is put together by putting fuel in the carb, it would fire off but stall right out (on 2 year old fuel). I know it needs a through cleaning and new fuel. If anyone can tell me anything about what I have here or give me insight, I would be appreciative. Can anyone identify the engine installed on this thing? Also the engine with the purple cooling fins says magtech 1.6, anyone know anything about it? (I did a google search and didn't find much.)

Here's some pictures.
photobucket-3971-1330655391803.jpg

photobucket-3773-1330655379222.jpg

photobucket-5220-1330655361290.jpg

photobucket-1642-1330655349712.jpg

There is also a large tackle box full of new and used parts & tools, and I forgot to get pictures of the 2nd truck, it's the same without an engine or electonics on it (most of the parts for it are in the tackle box.

The blue one is Traxxas Pro .15. I would go to traxxas.com and download the IPB, click on "Products" then "Nitro" then "T-Maxx Classic", then "Downloads", then "Exploded Views" then "T-Maxx with Pro .15, 1999".
Good luck with them, I would start by replacing the fuel line then remove the glow plug and spray some WD-40 in the engine and in the carb and work it around, this will help remove any gummed up nitro fuel. Don't do what I did, I had a Pro .15 that was shot but would run for half a tank with a new plug, @ $6 ea plugs added up real fast. Try working on it but if you can't get it running really well look into a new engine.

Last edited:
Starting with projects like this is a tough way to go for your first r/c. My best advice is an extreme amount of patience. I'd take every single thing apart for a clean and check,replacing parts as necessary. I have done this exact same project,do a search for a thread called "Project Cheap-O-Maxx" and you can see what I did. These can still be a nice rig,you just have to make it nice.

As mentioned above,the blue head engine is a TRX Pro .15,the silver head appears to be the earlier TRX .15. The MagTech I don't know anything about.

if he gets good at it, he fix my 2 jatos, 1 t-maxx.

Starting with projects like this is a tough way to go for your first r/c. My best advice is an extreme amount of patience. I'd take every single thing apart for a clean and check,replacing parts as necessary. I have done this exact same project,do a search for a thread called "Project Cheap-O-Maxx" and you can see what I did. These can still be a nice rig,you just have to make it nice.

As mentioned above,the blue head engine is a TRX Pro .15,the silver head appears to be the earlier TRX .15. The MagTech I don't know anything about.

That Cheap-O-Max post is quite helpful to me, thanks!

I'm going to the LHS (learning some new acronyms already) this weekend to pick up some fuel line, fuel, and whatever else I need (want, or can afford). Any suggestions about anything else I should get while I'm there would be helpful because it's quite a drive to get there.

I found some information in the Megatech engine: http://www.megatech.com/MegatechCarEngines.html
The reviews I found for it were not very positive. It will get sold/traded eventually.

I think I have decided to try to get the more complete one up and running, hopefully a good cleaning and tuning will make it run, and then put the basket case together as much as possible and sell it off, or would I be better just leaving it in parts? It does not have radio or servos with it anyway.

I can see myself trying to find a 3.3 or other more modern/complete/running if I can get one for a decent price.

Anyone have a spare bottom plastic/battery cover for my remote? The previous owner lost the cover somewhere.

Last edited:
You may wanna take some time and cruise around the site. Theres quite a bit of solid info in the "stickys" and theres many of us who have learned from our and others mistakes to get some well tuned/running rigs together with each others help. IMO Racer 1966 has a very valid point. I have bought a few used rigs and took the time to completely dismantle EVERYTHING and get it real clean. Not only do you get a chance to know your rig better but you can see how abused it really was from the previous owner. Good luck!!

I've been busy today. I took the engine and fuel tank off. Carefully cleaned the rest of the truck up with simple green, denatured alcohol a small brush and compressed air. Went over everything and tightened all the fasteners, replaced some broken items (had plenty of spares in the tackle box). I then took the exhaust off the engine and replaced it with the stock one that was in the tackle box after cleaning it and the carb with the alcohol, I even had spare header gaskets in the box. I replaced the majorly worn gear on the output of the engine and the one it meshes with (had spares for those in the box also) new fuel line and fuel installed. Presto! It fired right up, and with a little tuning running quite nicely. My son nearly wet himself, he was so excited. I have to say I'm quite proud right now also.

I could not of done it without the information contained on this site. I read everything I could find pertaining to the classic T-MAXX on here, and gained quite a bit of information. By no means am I completely done, but I sure feel better that I didn't buy a giant unfixable turd! I'll get some new pictures when the light is better. A little dirty right now from running 2 tanks of fuel through it.

Last edited:
the engine with the purple head is a megatech .16 supposidly made one full horsepower, i am pretty sure that the company went under, i recently tried to get kneew bearings for one i have lyin around but came up empty. beat it till it blows then get a real engine, have fun man

the engine with the purple head is a megatech .16 supposidly made one full horsepower, i am pretty sure that the company went under, i recently tried to get kneew bearings for one i have lyin around but came up empty. beat it till it blows then get a real engine, have fun man

Could you tell me what glow plug your megatech has in it? Mine does not have one in it.

You got your work cutout for yourself. Looking forward to see the end results.

I run an OS medium in just about everything including the megatech

Spent the afternoon/night out bashing it with my son. Good times!