New-- Gear is completely Eaten?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenameskam

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
This is my first gas powered rc. bought it for a good price. i had to purchase fuel, another pull start, and glow starter. I had it running and playing with it all day yesterday and it was AWESOME! but, today i tried to start it and play with it some, and my remote started acting funny and it just wanted to take off. but it wasn't going anywhere, i looked down in front of the engine, which I'm guessing is the drive gear/trans? and the gear in the middle it is attached to is completely eaten, what caused this? some kind of timing issue? somethings not in the right position? and also. where can i buy this gear? i can't seem to find the name for it or where to buy it or anything. Much help appreciated! picture included!

nfqn1u.jpg

2mocllz.jpg

The gear that's eaten is called your spur gear. It has a nut on it that can be tightened or loosened which allows it to spin or slip when u come down on a hard landing from a jump or crash so u do.t damage the rest of the drive train make sure the nut is not to loose or to tight and also that your gear on the engine called the clutch bell had a good mesh with the spur gear

so what exactly caused this to happen?

Could be a few things my first gueses would be an incrorrect mesh between the clutchbell and spur or ur slipper clutch was to tight or too loose.

While your idle does it move forward at all or act like it wants to a little? Hows your idle? If it's a little high it will cause your clutch shoes to engage prematurely cuasing the clutch bell(the smaller gear) witch is steel to get hot and pretty much go through the spur gear(the large gear with the nut)like a hot knife through plastic.

You can get a HPI racing vented clutch bell $15. that would help with heat.

When you take the spur gear off it will have the # of teeth stamped on it from the looks of the teeth on the clutch bell you probably have a 52T spur gear but check to be sure. There are a lot of places to get this part Google savage spur gear you'll find what you need also stick with the plastic spur gears.

This will help if you dont have it.
http://www.hpiracing.com/manuals/pdf/105644.pdf

Last edited:
Is the mesh adjustable on the MT2? I know it wasn't on the older Nitro MT, which I thought was lame... at least not with the stock engine.

Landing hard off a jump while on the gas will cause it to shear teeth like that if your slipper is too tight.

Also, the chassis is mildly flexible on those rigs since they don't really have a backbone to make it more rigid. This allows for flex on rough terrain that moves your mesh around some. Was really bad on my NMT, so much so that I made a 3/16" steel plate to mount the engine and center spur too. Added weight, but helped me avoid stripping spurs all the time.

While your idle does it move forward at all or act like it wants to a little? Hows your idle? If it's a little high it will cause your clutch shoes to engage prematurely cuasing the clutch bell(the smaller gear) witch is steel to get hot and pretty much go through the spur gear(the large gear with the nut)like a hot knife through plastic.

You can get a HPI racing vented clutch bell $15. that would help with heat.

When you take the spur gear off it will have the # of teeth stamped on it from the looks of the teeth on the clutch bell you probably have a 52T spur gear but check to be sure. There are a lot of places to get this part Google savage spur gear you'll find what you need also stick with the plastic spur gears.

This will help if you dont have it.
http://www.hpiracing.com/manuals/pdf/105644.pdf

it acts like it wants to move forward alot, the idle is high, but i can't tell if this is from my remote? which seems a little messed up, is there anyway i can get a new controller for it or no? but if its the idle, then i just need to adjust the idle screw right? but would the high idle cause the clutchbell to be spinning? thanks guys I've already learned so much aha!

any one know if an tf1 radio with the receiver work on my mt2?

Any radio meant for an land RC rig will work as long as you have both radio and reciever (TX/RX) And have the proper amount of channels for your steering, throttle & rx pack.

You can grab a Traxxas TQ TX/RX combo for hella cheap and work great!

that one will work fine, allthough for $35 it was a little high for what it is.

oh well.. I'm just so excited to keep playing with it so it was worth it.. I'm in the middle of building my BMW for a big turbo.. so all these R/C prices for upgrades are blowing me away! I'm just so use to high prices for simple things aha. this thing just seems so fun already and i only played with it for about 2 hours before i ate through the spur gear aha.

Back