New exhaust, engine now won’t start - help please

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RicoBanderez

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi all,
I’m breaking in my Hong Nor Force .21 engine. I’ve run 2 1/2 tanks of fuel through now.

During some ground running on my 3rd tank, I got a little careless and wrapped it around a tree. I bent the exhaust and ruined it so I’ve bought a new one. Both exhausts are Hong Nor again however the new one is hard coated.

Having fitted the new Exhaust I see how poor a job I did with the first as previously I missed all the springs that keep the thing firmly attached. Needless to say they’re all on now with the new one.

so on to the problem... I now can’t start the engine. It sounds like there’s no fuel getting into it. I’ve tried my best to prime it (holding finger over the end of the exhaust and pulling the starter cord 4-5 times and blowing down the pipe from exhaust to the fuel tank) but it just doesn’t seem to fire. I’ve checked the glow plug (it glows) and I charged my glow igniter. I’m just not sure fuel is getting in because whenever I sit there cranking away, no fuel spits out the exhaust.
Any suggestions??

Attachments

• 13B5DE92-E77E-467B-8C73-04A887A2C8D8.jpeg
    13B5DE92-E77E-467B-8C73-04A887A2C8D8.jpeg
    349.4 KB · Views: 96
  • D4223CBF-9B43-43A6-993E-02D8AC27CB39.jpeg
    D4223CBF-9B43-43A6-993E-02D8AC27CB39.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 02598986-A865-4FE3-88B3-BE5F469219C1.jpeg
    02598986-A865-4FE3-88B3-BE5F469219C1.jpeg
    446.3 KB · Views: 65
first option would be to maybe try removing the plug, put a few drops of fuel into the top of the engine, replace plug, then try firing.
or for figuring out issues with priming, i will disconnect the pressure line from the exhaust and blow softly into the line which will prime the engine with fuel. watch till it gets to the carb needle, then just a little more. you will feel it get a bit harder to blow though. then try starting.
if it doesn't prime that way, it is plugged somewhere, or major air leak.

your idle gap and needle settings are still factory settings correct?

I might also take a guess that it was tuned to run with an improperly installed exhaust, and now that you've corrected it you might be getting TOO MUCH fuel to the engine which is flooding it.

If it hit hard enough to damage the pipe ,it may have damaged the tank ,some tanks have weird filter systems in them ,
so I would definitely pull the tank an check for any cracks an the filter part ,it is also possible that other stuff got jarred
loose ,like carb fitting ,an make sure that it didn't crack the engine block!

first option would be to maybe try removing the plug, put a few drops of fuel into the top of the engine, replace plug, then try firing.
or for figuring out issues with priming, i will disconnect the pressure line from the exhaust and blow softly into the line which will prime the engine with fuel. watch till it gets to the carb needle, then just a little more. you will feel it get a bit harder to blow though. then try starting.
if it doesn't prime that way, it is plugged somewhere, or major air leak.

your idle gap and needle settings are still factory settings correct?
Morning,
I’ve been trying blowing down the pressure line, that’s not worked.
The needle settings aren’t sadly as per factory, I’ve tried to restore them but I’m not 100% confident I’ve done it correctly

I might also take a guess that it was tuned to run with an improperly installed exhaust, and now that you've corrected it you might be getting TOO MUCH fuel to the engine which is flooding it.
I don’t think it’s getting too much fuel because when I have been cranking away, there’s been no fuel at all spitting out from the exhaust

Morning,
The needle settings aren’t sadly as per factory, I’ve tried to restore them but I’m not 100% confident I’ve done it correctly
what does the manual say for returning back to factory? I'm guessing it gives a count of turns for the high speed, is that one of those ones that you have to hold the carb shut while you close the LSN then back off from there?
if so make sure set the idle gap to 1mm, about the with of a standard sized paperclip.

Morning,
guess also, when you were doing this, did it feel liek the line was plugged? or was there air escaping?

guess also, when you were doing this, did it feel liek the line was plugged? or was there air escaping?
Hi there,
I will say that when I was blowing down the pressure line it was WAY more difficult than usual as if there was some form of blockage. What would cause a block? And how would I get rid of a block? Is it just take it all apart and look?

what does the manual say for returning back to factory? I'm guessing it gives a count of turns for the high speed, is that one of those ones that you have to hold the carb shut while you close the LSN then back off from there?
if so make sure set the idle gap to 1mm, about the with of a standard sized paperclip.
Hey,
I will have to dig it up... I can’t remember if it was ModelSport (the shop I bought the engine from) or the manufacturer who told me how many turns get it back to factory. I’ll dig it out. The gap is pretty good though for the idle settings.

Hi there,
I will say that when I was blowing down the pressure line it was WAY more difficult than usual as if there was some form of blockage. What would cause a block? And how would I get rid of a block? Is it just take it all apart and look?
if you were to open the throttle, is it easier to blow into? does it prime then?
i would guess it is a blockage in the carb. but with the tank empy, unhook fuel line going to the engine, can you blow through pressure line then and get airflow out the fuel line that goes to the engine?
if so it is something later in the line (carb) i would start with carb removal, and inspecting needles and needle housings. could also be an obstruction in the brass nipple