New engine suggestion for the savage, lower power, lower price.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys and gals,

I'm sure I'll be looking into a new engine for the savage soon. I posted a long engine thread a few minutes ago for those that want an explaination as to why.

When I was looking a few years ago for my t-maxx, the xtm 24.7 (normal, not pro) and mach 26 were what I was looking at. I never bought either one... (another long story noone cares to read I'm sure).

Anyway, for those that bought either of the two for your savage, how did you like them? Ballpark on how long they last (gallons)? Ease of tune? Reliability? How did they lug the savage around?

Any other suggestions for a fairly reliable, long lasting, non-drive train chewing engine for around $150 would be welcome.

I have used an OS 21 RG and an Omega 21 Comp. These are the only two 21 sized engines I've had experiance with. A friend of mine bought a PowerHouse 26, but I wasn't really impressed with it... then again, he hasn't run it enough in over a year to get it broken in...
Thanks for your time :cheers:

Last edited:
You might want to look into the wasp .28. I heard they are very good engines.

I would go with the sh .28. For $132 shipped to your door you will not get a better price/power/reliable engine! My father has one and its nuts.

Olds,
I have their buggy with the 24/7 engine in it. The engine screams. Easy to tune and keeps a tune really well. Have about 2 1/2 to 3 gallons through it and it still has plenty of power. Haven't touched the needles in the last gallon. Still have to loosen the glow plug sometimes to start it.
I love the 24/7 but,
From all the posts I have read and vids I have seen. I think when my .25 in the Savage goes out, the Wasp .28 is going in it.
Still think the 24/7 would be a nice upgrade. Would like to see a vid of it in a Savage. :cheers:

I kind of want to use something that isn't overly powerful. I only bash and don't need all the power some of the 28's and whatnot put out. The excess power would just be a waste and tear up the diffs.

I was leaning towards the xtm 24.7 over the mach. I read some issues with the mach that are avoidable, but why bother...

old's as I'm in the uk I'm not sure about the price but if you can get another OS 21 RG (well the O.S. .21 RG-X (P))
it what i run and it more than powerfull and can keep up with some of the big boys:)
or in my other savage i run the hyper 8 port which is also good i hear the pro is a little better :)

hope that help as i said i dont know how much they are over ther

shorty said:
old's as I'm in the uk I'm not sure about the price but if you can get another OS 21 RG (well the O.S. .21 RG-X (P))
it what i run and it more than powerfull and can keep up with some of the big boys:)
or in my other savage i run the hyper 8 port which is also good i hear the pro is a little better :)

hope that help as i said i dont know how much they are over ther

It's under $150, but it's what I have. I want something with a touch more power. I'm leaning towards the XTM 24.7. I think the SH 28 will be overkill for my needs.

Thanks for the info though.

The 24.7 is a good mill, but for a similar price I'd go with the SH .28, no such thing as too much power...

I have the Picco 26 in one truck and a Mach 26 in the other and a eight port
21 in my MGT . I agree with you the 26 is just to much , along the same lines of the SH 28 Picco 27 and 30s . I like my truck to be drivable and not just a wheelie machine
that tears up parts . I would either get the new HPI 28 the Mach 26 or the 8
port 21. Here is the anology I make . My 26 picco is a pitbull the Mach 26 and Hpi 28 are german shepards . They get the job done but arent as nasty. There will be alot of people who solely want power . I like power but drivabilty more . There are alot of Machs 26s out there

THat's what I was looking for! Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the XTM 24.7 is relatively close to the same kind of output the Mach 26 is.

What kind of gearing do you run with the mach 26?

I am running a 52/15 and or 16 . I get the best of both worlds that way . You loose alot of bottom end torque but its easier to drive .

I have the xtm 247 pro, and i love it, starts up no problem, i can run roto start backplate, fast, doesn't chew up drive trains, easy to tune and holds a tune. Very reliable, i am running 30% in mine for racing.

I would think the xtm 247 would be just as great. I hear that the 247 has a little more bottom, but less top, and i have seen it and it is just as fast. But i still prefer the pro.

The sh 28 has been having problems with the conrod snapping or blowing a hole in the crankcase, but i have heard that it is fast, but will eat up drivetrain as well as a wasp 28.

All in what u want. just my opinion.

If you gear a little higher you can avoid chewing gears with higher powerd engines...

olds97_lss said:
THat's what I was looking for! Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the XTM 24.7 is relatively close to the same kind of output the Mach 26 is.

What kind of gearing do you run with the mach 26?

Two extremely different engines my friend. Xtm 24.7 is low end, Mach 26 is more of a smoother higher powerband.

THe 24.7 is the best of the bunch. Smooth all over w/ plenty of power.

My XTM/SH 28 hasnt hurt my drivetrain at all, I just did the prerequsites with upgrading to a big mill.

I have a Collari 30 in my savage, TOO MUCH POWER. but still lots of fun. I put a Mach 26 in a monster pirate that I have, it will run off and hide from my Collari truck. Super fast with plenty of low end power. A buddy has the 24-7 in a Savage of his, not much bottom end(enough I guess but not alot). I would sugest the Mach. Seems to be a "BEST BUY" for the money. Like $130 wiht a pullstart.

get the hyper .21 turbo engine. i love it, it smokes my 25 engine. good price too. i like it but there are other better engines.

mark.