New eBay Fraud Email

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmob

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Don't get sucked-in on the following e-mail copy.

You have been warned.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear eBay user:

As a courtesy and for your safety, eBay notifies you whenever your
credit card is used for
certain activities on the site.

Once you have a credit card on file with us and the same card is used
again for certain
activities on eBay, we will send this notice to let you know that the
credit card has been used.
This includes activities involving your account or those of a family
member, business associate,
or friend. These activities include using the same credit card to:

* register an eBay account using an anonymous email domain such as
Yahoo or Hotmail,

* set up a selling account,

* update the credit card information on another account that uses the
same card,

* gain access the Mature Audiences category, or

* place a bid over $15,000.

If you did not use your credit card for any of the above reasons,
please confirm with all
members of your household as well as friends or business associates
that they have not
recently used your credit card on eBay. Their use of your card for any
of the above purposes
will also generate this notice.

If you are still unable to explain the use of your card, please update
your account with a new credit card immediately by taking the following steps:

1. "Sign In" to your eBay account at:
http://signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn&ssPageName=h:h:sin:US

2. Enter your new credit card information.
3. Click the "Continue" button.

** Do not reply to this email as this is a system-generated message **

eBay Safety Tip:

Some community members have reported receiving deceptive emails
claiming to come from eBay, PayPal, or other popular Web sites. The people who
send these emails (also known as "spoof" or "phishing" emails) hope
that unsuspecting recipients will reply or click on a link contained in
the email and then provide sensitive personal information.

You can take a few simple steps to protect your account and prevent
senders of deceptive emails from doing harm:

* If you need to update your personal or financial information on eBay,
type the eBay Web address into your browser or use a bookmarked link.
* Use My eBay or the Site Map to find pages on eBay, rather than
relying on links from emails.
* Report suspicious email immediately by forwarding it to
[email protected].

eBay's Help system provides detailed information about spoof emails,
identity theft, and what to do if your eBay account has been compromised.

Looks fimilar... Almost every email from "ebay" is spam... now that they have their own message center in the My Ebay area, there is no need for emails.

Yeah I got something like that too, I just deleted it.

When any e-mail that appears to be from eBay start out with, "Dear eBay user:". That is the alarm that it is a scam from someone trying to get your user name and password.

Sadly, there is always someone that falls prey.

Yeah they will always address you by name or account name. I always forward the e-mails to [email protected] Figure any little bit can help them catch the little bastards.

First off, as Rob said, any valid email from Ebay will start "Dear <your name>". If it's a generic gretting, it's a fraud.
And secondly, any mail that Ebay sends to your registered email address will also be carbon copied into your Ebay mailbox. So if you get a message you're not sure of, log onto Ebay the regular way and check your mailbox there. If there's nothing new in it, the other email is a fake.

I got one of those recently. It is a dead giveaway when ya don't even have an ebay account!!! Have had the ones that say my bank account is frozen until I update it.

There are many of these emails out there. I have received a few myself lately, and what's messed up is that when you try to forward it to the spoof email at Ebay it won't send. ( I don't know how they do it) If you didn't know better, you'd be likely to go update your poop!!! The one I got said my account was suspended until I update... well I had just listed some stuff before I even saw the email. Won't even let me copy and paste it here for you all to see.

I had gotten one that when you clicked on the link, the website was infected with a trojan virus. luckily my virus scan caught it.

Fuckin Scammer Scum Deserve to die......WTF...With all the technology we have access to in our homes, we are breeding these little shits left and right......hey let lil johnny play his blood and guts game at 6years old....I know they talk about robbing banks and killing politicians and popping pills to make you better but he knows that's just fake................................doesn't he?!?!?!?!

I really hate to say it but most if not all of this crap directly related to BAD PARENTING....I'm not the best father in the world, sometimes the kid just needs to go away for a few mins or I'll explode... But when I sit back and watch other parents I see, I must look like the best dad in the world compared to some of the sofa jockeys I see.......If my kid ever gets into stuff like this, I will have no problem beatin her ass red.......what else are we supposed to do??? talk to them and tell them making obscene amount of money at someone elses expense isn't right and they should apologize for doing it???? yeah I'll do that....while I'm tanning hide.....

I saw a recent Ebay auction for a ""guaranteed hack of hotmail and other domain mail accounts"

This guy was selling directons to "hack" any email account. Just from all the time I have been using the net I knew what the scam wass, some of you may have seen it.

1. You recieve an unsolicited email with something like aforementioned hack statement in the subject.

2. You open it and read, they usually ask for money.

3. The steps: The person asks you to send your email address, password and the email address of your "victim" to something like "[email protected] or even something obvious like "[email protected]" They claim that by sending this information into the "server" you will confuse it to think that you are the other person, the victim and send you thier password.

4. Obviously it is a stupid trick, but if you search yahoo of google it you will find this document. I am sure poeple have fallen for it before. As for the Ebay thing, I agree- these parent need to stop letting thier Playstation 2's do the babysitting for them.

Back