"New Bright" Jeep -- Hobby or Toy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabatuckian

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
A few years back I picked this New Bright Jeep up second-hand, sans controller. I'm not really sure why except I'm a Jeep nut, like the way it looks, and the price was right.

It's just sat around gathering dust and looking pretty.

It has a 9.6v battery pack, 4wd, and is 49mhz.

It also seems a bit toy-ish.

Would this be worth getting going again? If not, could I possibly buy a better chassis and swap the body onto it? Is this something that can be done between toy and hobby grade? Search engines haven't been much help on this thing.

IMG_20230901_075113205~2.jpg

Alot of people would put newbright bodies on axial scx10s or custom trucks. It depends on the body and chassis sizes.

Nick rummy has a hard body 1/5 west coast customs silverado.

Another person put a 1/8 raptor body on an exceed rc crawler.

You can shorten or lengthen chassis and change rim size- crawlers go by 1.55, 1.9, 2.2 etc wheel sizes.

The width I the hard part if it's too wide but can be done.

What's your width, length, and wheelbase?

The line between toy grade and hobby grade is whether you can get replacement parts to include rebuildable fluid filled diffs, and fluid filled shocks.

Vintage Tamiya kits are borderline hobby grade in that replacement part trees are available but they severely lack modern geometry and tuning for proper hobby grade in modern age.

I don't believe New Bright offers any respectable form of parts support putting them in the toy grade (disposable) category when something breaks.

Back