New Big Rock….

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtbmatty

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Flying
I have a new Big Rock going under the Christmas Tree, and before it gets driven I’d like to check it over. Here’s my list of things to check

Gear mesh
Slipper
Loctite motor mount bolts
Loctite the little bolt inside the driveshaft that holds the wheel on
Set steering/ throttle end points
Program esc (punch)
Check all nuts & bolts

This last one I’m wondering what the best solution is….
The gap on the underside of the motor module, below the spur gear; Gorilla Tape??

Anything else ??

Thanks all, looking forward to driving this rig

Another thing to do is check the diffs. The Granite we bought barely had any diff fluid in them.

I have a new Big Rock going under the Christmas Tree, and before it gets driven I’d like to check it over. Here’s my list of things to check

Gear mesh
Slipper
Loctite motor mount bolts
Loctite the little bolt inside the driveshaft that holds the wheel on
Set steering/ throttle end points
Program esc (punch)
Check all nuts & bolts

This last one I’m wondering what the best solution is….
The gap on the underside of the motor module, below the spur gear; Gorilla Tape??

Anything else ??

Thanks all, looking forward to driving this rig
i used the felt side of velcro and made a little "cage" around the opening it creates almost a little filter,. working great still even after bending stock motor plate and grenading spur/slipper

10k is stock weight. I put 20k in the rear, and stayed with 10k in the front.

10k is stock weight. I put 20k in the rear, and stayed with 10k in the front.
Awesome, thx dood!!
i used the felt side of velcro and made a little "cage" around the opening it creates almost a little filter,. working great still even after bending stock motor plate and grenading spur/slipper
I have heard of this method, I have a few small pieces but they are not terribly wide. I’ll see how it looks,…

The excitement got the better of us and we took this thing out after doing a few of the things on my punch list, gonna try and tackle the rest in the morning…
we did run a couple packs through it, and this thing is super fun!

005655C9-04EA-4AA8-966D-E95C80E5A417.jpeg

275EFD38-18E3-446D-8AC0-4E05F1733621.jpeg

Spent some time yesterday going through the big rock, checked off most of the stuff in the list. Need to check the Diffs, and shocks.
I really like the “modular” design. Makes working on it more better😬

Overall super happy. This thing is insane on 3S at 100%. We did some speed runs in the open part of the yard, and,… WOW!
In our little jump area we ran it 50% on 3S and 75% on 2S. It’s a smaller area with plenty of trees to bounce off of.
The only downside is the body is painted on the outside, but it will eventually be an excuse to upgrade the paint job.

Broken front A arm today. Wanted to get the rpm for replacements, but the shop we went to (which is closer to home) luckily had the stock replacement in stock.
They do more Traxxas and a few things from horizon, so I we definitely lucked out. They were 8 bucks for the set, so we Bought it so we could continue driving.
I’ll pick up the rpm ones next time we go to the track.

We also adjusted the punch back to 3, I had changed it to the low setting for the initial setup. Pulled more wheelies for sure.

How cold was it when you drove it? We don't drive our bashers much in the snow because cold plastic bresks so easily.

If you want to make your stock arms a little more flexible, soak them in a ziplock with some WD40 overnight. That will help keep them from breaking so easily. Just don't go too far with the soak because the arms will eventually turn to jello 😜

I’m in central CT, we lucked out on the snow, but it was freakin cold the last few days, I think it was in the teens and windchills were low single digits.
You’re right in that they were probably brittle cause of the temps. We may have had a few rough landings that potentially contributed…..just sayin
Thanks for the tip, I don’t think I even have WD-40 in the house. I used to have a can of T9, but i think I went through it

I’m in central CT, we lucked out on the snow, but it was freakin cold the last few days, I think it was in the teens and windchills were low single digits.
You’re right in that they were probably brittle cause of the temps. We may have had a few rough landings that potentially contributed…..just sayin
Thanks for the tip, I don’t think I even have WD-40 in the house. I used to have a can of T9, but i think I went through it
WD40 is great for use on RC cars. When your plastic gets dull and grey looking, WD40 will make it look like new again. It is also good to spray on bearings that have gotten wet, as it is designed to expell moisture. If you get it on your tires, wipe it off with a little warm soapy water. It has a more powerful effect on rubber, but some people have soaked their tires in it to soften them up as well.

WD40 is great for use on RC cars. When your plastic gets dull and grey looking, WD40 will make it look like new again. It is also good to spray on bearings that have gotten wet, as it is designed to expell moisture. If you get it on your tires, wipe it off with a little warm soapy water. It has a more powerful effect on rubber, but some people have soaked their tires in it to soften them up as well.
I’ve heard dudes at the track using simple green on tires, I think on the high traction carpet. There was another guy who I’m pretty sure had baked tires in the oven??maybe he was baked,…idk

Back