Need some electronics suggestions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkowboys

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm getting a HPI RS4 MT roller from a friend. It doesn't have any electronics on it, he sold them a while ago for money. He just gave me the roller, which is great becasue I've wanted an electric truck.

I'm new to electric and have only every ran HPI RS4 2 nitro. I will need to buy a motor, esc, and batteries for this truck. What's a good suggestion for running off-road? I'm looking to keep the cost down, so a system that will allow me to drive around the yard on nice summer days is all i'm looking for. I'm not trying to set any land speed records or anything.

Can i use any motor, esc, battery combo? Or do they have to be compatable with one another?

You should think whether you want brushed or brushless motors. Brushed motors are less expensive but require more maintenance. Brushless motors are a bit more expensive but require almost no maintenance. Once you decide which you want to use, it's then just a matter of choosing your ESC.

Next you need to consider battery types. The cheapest and most common is the NiMH battery pack. The other choice is the LiPo which is a bit more expensive but is capable of delivering higher bursts of power giving you more speed.

If as you say you want to just run around the yard, consider going with a brushed setup with NiMH batteries. It is the least expensive way to go. You can always upgrade later if you want to.

A cheap solution would to search eBay for some Traxxas gear. A Titan 12 Turn 550 motor (or any 550 for that matter), a Traxxas XL5 ESC (cheap and waterproof to boot), and a Traxxas TQ2 or 3 transmitter would round out the package. You should be able to get all three for around $80.00. Add some $30 Venom 3600 mAh Sport Packs and you are running!

Last edited:
I'm running a LRP V7.1 ESC and a Novak Rx, in my XXX-t and have a blast with it.

Been debating on going brushless w/ li-po but cannot justify spending the $$$ for backyard bashing.

Keep in mind that lipo's have come way down in price. I'd have to agree with Addict on the gear choice, but once your ready for a performance boost, a lipo and charger can be had for around $50. Check out hobbyking.com. Just gear low, add a low voltage cut-off, and watch those temps once you make the plunge. Check out allbattery.com for some nicely priced nimh's.

I know you said you want to keep the cost down but cheap is not the same for everyone....Put a number out there, how much are you willing to spend?

Back