Need new steering servo for stampede 2wd

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLiCKWiDNiCK

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
My stock servo got all chewed up for whatever reason and I need to replace it. I want to get one with metal gears and get a metal servo saver. My problem is that I don't know what it is I'm looking for when choosing a new one from Amazon cause they don't just say, "suited for replacement on a stampede 2wd". If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I use the amazon servos in a few of my rigs.
I don't remember what size I have in my Stampede 2wd but I think it's a amazon 25kg.

I would get a metal geared servo and kimbrough servo saver. I had servo savers popping apart and plastic servos stripping. Since the above combo I'm more durable with no issues. The servo saver is a weak spot to save the servo. Factory traxxas seems too weak.

If it was a crawler, by all means both. On a stampede, if you crash and tumble alot, I dont see a metal servo saver helping more than hurting.

Regaurdless, make sure the splines on tge servo output and the servo saver are the same tooth count.

Servos are (usually) classified by standard, mini, micro, etc. You have a standard sized servo in the Stampede. For a budget servo... just search for 35kg servo on Amazon. I see Injora now has one for $22. I might be inclined to try that one just to see if they are any good. But the Zoskay there is the one a lot of people use on a budget.

Screenshot_20220910-063956_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Awesome thanks for the suggestions
Servos are (usually) classified by standard, mini, micro, etc. You have a standard sized servo in the Stampede. For a budget servo... just search for 35kg servo on Amazon. I see Injora now has one for $22. I might be inclined to try that one just to see if they are any good. But the Zoskay there is the one a lot of people use on a budget.

View attachment 152325
I found this answer to a question in the ad for the zoskay 35kg:

the motor inside is only held with foam, no screws. Shakes loose and stops working. Motor inside won’t stay put.

Is this servo really good to get?

Last edited:

the motor inside is only held with foam, no screws. Shakes loose and stops working. Motor inside won’t stay put.

I got one in my 1/7th scale 6s Arrma and its been holding up to some abuse.

A lot of people here use them. I would say that is rare that something like that would happen. But sounds like an easy fix.

Take Amazon reviews with a handful of salt. Most of the people leaving those reviews have no credibility in the hobby. If they mention they have years in the hobby, maybe then I value their review. But otherwise, I don't pay much attention to them.

Look at the star rating. Most people that have no issues won't bother leaving a positive review, but they'll throw some stars at it easy enough 😉

I would stay away from amazon servos. They are decent, but not best buy for the money. My number one favorite is towerpro mg958 (if original). I order mine in value hobby, I think Grayson hobby also sells them. I would not buy them from eBay because they are most likely fake. They are around 12$ true 20kg, not like Amazon 20kg that is true 9kg. The only issue is that after some time gears develop some play, but for rtr cars you will not notice.

https://valuehobby.com/towerpro-mg958-servo.html

Second option is power hd if not fake. A little more expensive but can't go wrong with them

If those tower pros are anything like the original tower pro 995s then you couldnt pay me to use one.

If those tower pros are anything like the original tower pro 995s then you couldnt pay me to use one.
Well, if original tower pro 995 was actually very good, I would say even better than "20kg" Amazon specials. When I ordered 4 from bangood and 4 from eBay, non of them worked good enough even for throttle on nitro cars. It's the most counterfeit servo in history :). Unfortunately value hobby doesn't have a lot of stuff like they use to but from my 8 year long experience they never had counterfeit servos or other stuff.

At Grayson hobby they are out of stock. If you need the best servo money can buy you should try. Metal casing, true 20 kg, reasonably fast for cored servo and only 12$. Like I said the only issue so far is that they develop free play in gears, but I have one in infraction and doesn't affect handling so far. I had same issue with spectrum 652 from kraton 6s, maybe doesn't get sloppy as fast, but still not a good experience

@Bogda89 A $12 20kg servo in a $650 1/7 scale RC... wow. I wanna see a video of this!

Hmm... I wonder why the gears developed slop? 😜

Last edited:
Theres a reason theyre $12 and I wouldnt stick a $12 servo in a $100 kit. Same reason I dont buy banggood/Amazon RCs. Thats just me though, you do you boo.

@Bogda89 A $12 20kg servo in a $650 1/7 scale RC... wow. I wanna see a video of this!

Hmm... I wonder why the gears developed slop? 😜

A lot of people are happy with 20kg zoskay from amazon, I guarantee that this one is cheaper and better. It works just.fine

A lot of people are happy with 20kg zoskay from amazon, I guarantee that this one is cheaper and better. It works just.fine
I wouldn't put any 20kg servo in the Stampede, nor did anybody here suggest one besides you. So I am not sure why you are advising against the 20kg Amazon servo?

For slinging the big tires of the Stampede around, I would use the 35kg Amazon servo if I was on a budget. Me personally, I don't use them much myself, but I do have a few Amazon servos, and they are fine.

If it were me I would put a 300+ oz/in Savox in it. But the OP was asking about Amazon servos.

swing amount? torque rate?, voltage?. then add a universal servo saver. I havent had a issue with any amazon rc purchases

I wouldn't put any 20kg servo in the Stampede, nor did anybody here suggest one besides you. So I am not sure why you are advising against the 20kg Amazon servo?

For slinging the big tires of the Stampede around, I would use the 35kg Amazon servo if I was on a budget. Me personally, I don't use them much myself, but I do have a few Amazon servos, and they are fine.

If it were me I would put a 300+ oz/in Savox in it. But the OP was asking about Amazon servos.
I am not advising anyone against Amazon servos, they are decent, but not the best money can buy.
Amazon "20kg" are only 11 real kg, and "35kg" only 21 real kg. Towerpro I suggest is real, tested 20kg if not counterfeit. My second choice would be power hd, their specs are accurate and price reasonable.

Real 20 kg is plenty even for 8scale cars. In some of my 10 scale cars I use savox 1257 and 1258tg that are rated for only 10 kg and that's plenty

I am not advising anyone against Amazon servos, they are decent, but not the best money can buy.
Amazon "20kg" are only 11 real kg, and "35kg" only 21 real kg. Towerpro I suggest is real, tested 20kg if not counterfeit. My second choice would be power hd, their specs are accurate and price reasonable.

Real 20 kg is plenty even for 8scale cars. In some of my 10 scale cars I use savox 1257 and 1258tg that are rated for only 10 kg and that's plenty
I'll buy one and toss it in our Stampede/Gravedigger and do some tests in a few weeks.

Heres one reason why I wouldnt touch a tower pro with a 10ft pole. They dont even know what their own specs are. They have 2 different sets of stats listed for the same servo on the same page.

20KG is about 278oz/in which is ok for a lot of non monster truck 1/8 scale kits but I prefer more torque in my 1/8 scales. Now I would use 20KG in any 1/10 scale but if its a monster truck Id prolly go a little bigger. Thats just my opinion though.

The Zosky 35KG is really more like 21KG in real world tests but the TowerPro 958 is only about 18.5-19KG, at least according to the tests I looked up on YT. That being said though the TowerPro servo is quite a bit slower than the Zosky so Id probably go with the Zosky if I were trying to pick between the two just because its faster and maybe slightly stronger. My advice would be to not go cheap on electronics though. Spend $70 on a servo and get one with more torque and faster speed that will last imho.

Capture3.JPG

Heres one reason why I wouldnt touch a tower pro with a 10ft pole. They dont even know what their own specs are. They have 2 different sets of stats listed for the same servo on the same page.

20KG is about 278oz/in which is ok for a lot of non monster truck 1/8 scale kits but I prefer more torque in my 1/8 scales. Now I would use 20KG in any 1/10 scale but if its a monster truck Id prolly go a little bigger. Thats just my opinion though.

The Zosky 35KG is really more like 21KG in real world tests but the TowerPro 958 is only about 18.5-19KG, at least according to the tests I looked up on YT. That being said though the TowerPro servo is quite a bit slower than the Zosky so Id probably go with the Zosky if I were trying to pick between the two just because its faster and maybe slightly stronger. My advice would be to not go cheap on electronics though. Spend $70 on a servo and get one with more torque and faster speed that will last imho.

View attachment 152649
I agree 100%. I think people didn't understand what I was trying to say. I am not claiming that this tower pro is the best servo and that you don't need anything better, but it's the best 12$ budget servo. You are right that zoskay 35kg is slightly better, but we are talking 32$ vs 12$.

I agree 100%. I think people didn't understand what I was trying to say. I am not claiming that this tower pro is the best servo and that you don't need anything better, but it's the best 12$ budget servo. You are right that zoskay 35kg is slightly better, but we are talking 32$ vs 12$.
Yes, that makes sense. But you also said the gears get slop in them. My Amazon servos have no slop whatsoever, so I really wouldn't mind spending a little more for them if that is true of the TP. But next time I order, I will grab a TP servo just to see for myself. I think that would be a pretty fun little project for Breydon and I to play around with testing some cheap servos.