Need new screws to replace stripped ones!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys, I haven't been on this forum in probably a good 8 months or more?
But I decided to take the 'ol T-maxx 2.5 back out, and fix it back up.
One of the problems I'm having is I've got a good bit of stripped screws, and I need to get replacements for them. Some stripped ones I have are the ones to the shock tower, a few holding the front bumper on, a couple that hold the shocks to the, well i'm not sure what it's called, but not the shock tower, but the other part the shocks go to. Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you know where I could get a good set of screws for not too expensive?

Might I add, that most of the screws i need are rather small, thin, and have a tight thread. but they're are a few that are decent sized.

Last edited:
Look up screw kits on ebay. Stay away from stainless. It's too brittle.

Just go to McMaster and get some. Just figure out what sizes you need and make an order, then you will be set for a long time. I usually make an order once every couple of years there just to stock back up.

You can usually get packs of 100 for around $5-8 a pack. Make sure to stock up on nuts/washers too.

Or, you can just go the route your going and get a replacement set. But, if you have a dremel, you can always get a couple packs of mcmaster screws and cut them to the length you need them when you need them.

Well, I don't have a clue what kind of screws they are, but my dad has worked with trucks and such his whole life, so when he gets home I'll see if he can help, thanks!

All you need is a metric ruler, measure how long the screws are you need to replace and find them at that site.

You need "Socket Cap Screws". Once you click on it, you will see different variations of the screws. Go to "material type" and choose "black oxide". This will filter things down to the sizes/lengths/types they have for that type. Then choose "steel" in the same section. Then M3 in "thread size".

Then you have length and head type to choose from, flat or cap.

Metal class 10.9 are decent, 12.9 is more expensive, but harder, so less likely to strip.

I can easily blow $50 there if I'm not careful. ;)

Ah, I see what you mean. Except when I go through everything you said, in the right order, it leads out to me having a choice for a hex socket or a star, and it's a phillips head!

Oh, then never mind. Go with stock. Most people replace phillips with allen then use a good set of allen wrenches.

Sorry about that.

Oh, I can see why people would do that, that's actually a good idea, that way you'd strip screws alot less, right? besides, I've got a set of allen wrenches like no other. i'll use that, thanks!

If your talking about the little L allens, I'd highly suggest not using them as they are usually cheap and cause stripped screws. If your planning on being in the hobby for some time, then I'd suggest a good set of allens made for RC. Hudy makes some fairly economical ones that last a good amount of time. Usually you only need 3 or 4, but that can cost you anywhere from $30-$50+.

Thanks for all the help, I'll just stick to my phillips.

so, I've got everything settled down, and got everything about this screw, except the thread size. here are my choices: http://www.mcmaster.com/#tapping-screws/=47w656
what is a #4, #6, #8, etc thread size? I don't have a clue.

nevermind about that link, it doesn't go where I thought it did.

Last edited:
Back