Need help with my tmaxx 2.5 carb

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolcat78956

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi, I have a Traxxas t-maxx with a stock 2.5 engine.
I keep breaking glow plugs on it. I allready bought 5 glow plugs. I have 2 new ones left.
How would i reset my carb to factory and then start at a point (3,4,5 turns)
to tune it. The weather out side is in the 30's.

Your running too lean, read this manual, at least the engine tuning section, http://www.robotcombat.com/products/images/tra4910-manual.pdf it has the factory settings, as well as instructions on how to tune, also tells you different signs that show too lean and too rich mixtures, i would suggest reading some of that manual or you will most likely ruin the engine, especially if your burning out glow plugs like you say. Hope it helps. :)

Your running too lean, read this manual, at least the engine tuning section, http://www.robotcombat.com/products/images/tra4910-manual.pdf it has the factory settings, as well as instructions on how to tune, also tells you different signs that show too lean and too rich mixtures, i would suggest reading some of that manual or you will most likely ruin the engine, especially if your burning out glow plugs like you say. Hope it helps. :)

I will try your advise and try it out later.
Origionally i thought i was runnung it to rich, i will reset the carb and try again. I will let you kno how it goes.

Thanks again :D

?

It didnt tell me how to reset the carb, just how to tune it.

Should i close the carb all the way then turn the High speed knob 4 times? :\

The factory settings for a t-maxx is, high speed needle 4 turns out from closed, low speed needle said the screw should be flush with the ring around it, you will see that the system that the low speed needle screws into, has an indent, you want it to be flush with the indented part, the idle gap should be 0.7mm-1.0mm, if you do not have a gapper, you can find them at auto parts stores for spark plugs, you can find these factory settings on page 29 of the manual, it is stated under a light bulb to the right of the page, you want to read page 28-29, read everything including all the tips and tricks you will see to the left and right under the light bulbs and attention symbols, you also want to read pages 34-35, after you read those pages (page 28-29, page 34-35) you should be set with any and all knowledge you could need for adjusting and understanding your engine, i would recommend reading the most of the manual, but you should be set with those sections when it comes to adjustments. Hope it helps. :)

If it is any sort of inspiration, i read the entire manual before ever starting my first nitro, and have had great luck for doing so, i would highly suggest it! :)

The factory settings for a t-maxx is, high speed needle 4 turns out from closed, low speed needle said the screw should be flush with the ring around it, you will see that the system that the low speed needle screws into, has an indent, you want it to be flush with the indented part, the idle gap should be 0.7mm-1.0mm, if you do not have a gapper, you can find them at auto parts stores for spark plugs, you can find these factory settings on page 29 of the manual, it is stated under a light bulb to the right of the page, you want to read page 28-29, read everything including all the tips and tricks you will see to the left and right under the light bulbs and attention symbols, you also want to read pages 34-35, after you read those pages (page 28-29, page 34-35) you should be set with any and all knowledge you could need for adjusting and understanding your engine, i would recommend reading the most of the manual, but you should be set with those sections when it comes to adjustments. Hope it helps. :)

If it is any sort of inspiration, i read the entire manual before ever starting my first nitro, and have had great luck for doing so, i would highly suggest it! :)

Thanks, today i will try to read the manual and possibly get it started, thanks :D
I will let you know what happens

Yeah definitely tell me how it goes, and no problem with the help i know what it is like to have issues! Something else you may be interested in, lok into getting "Sport" fuel, i have been running traxxas fuel more for racing, but recently ran out and picked up Blue Thunder Sport fuel, it has been great love the stuff so far, sais on the bottle easy to tune with, prevents engine damage due to over lean mixtures, and i tell you what, it has been great, instantly i could see sings of an over rich mixture, and with in 5 min of fondling the engine she was ripping wheelies left and right, so i would recommend it if you don't plan to race right off, i love the stuff already been through a couple tanks of it and has worked great and most definitely has been incredibly easy to tune the engine with compared to the traxxas fuel!! :)

The first thing you want to do with any Traxxas engine is seal it. Read the tuning tips and tricks at the top of the nitro forum. It explains sealing in detail. As far as your needle settings go, you'll want to start out a little lean of the factory settings because your engine is already broke in. Factory will be too rich and cause the engine to load up. As long as your engine is broken in, start with the hsn at 3 1/2 turns out, the lsn 1 3/4. Running when the outside temperature is below 50 degrees will make tuning a pain in the butt.

Yeah definitely tell me how it goes, and no problem with the help i know what it is like to have issues! Something else you may be interested in, lok into getting "Sport" fuel, i have been running traxxas fuel more for racing, but recently ran out and picked up Blue Thunder Sport fuel, it has been great love the stuff so far, sais on the bottle easy to tune with, prevents engine damage due to over lean mixtures, and i tell you what, it has been great, instantly i could see sings of an over rich mixture, and with in 5 min of fondling the engine she was ripping wheelies left and right, so i would recommend it if you don't plan to race right off, i love the stuff already been through a couple tanks of it and has worked great and most definitely has been incredibly easy to tune the engine with compared to the traxxas fuel!! :)

Lol, i have been running on blue thunder, i used pink fuell when i got the car, it was used allready by the origional owner. i will read the manual and when the weather gets better i will try to work on it.

The first thing you want to do with any Traxxas engine is seal it. Read the tuning tips and tricks at the top of the nitro forum. It explains sealing in detail. As far as your needle settings go, you'll want to start out a little lean of the factory settings because your engine is already broke in. Factory will be too rich and cause the engine to load up. As long as your engine is broken in, start with the hsn at 3 1/2 turns out, the lsn 1 3/4. Running when the outside temperature is below 50 degrees will make tuning a pain in the butt.

Thanks, for the info :D
The weather is in the 20-30's right now. :green-grin:

The weather is going to be 90% of your problem. Wrap the head with some aluminum foil(2 layers is all you need) and richen 'er up.

Back